Menu
rjc0
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

When Will Hub 3.0 Support Apple Bonjour Service. Disgraceful, Ignorant and Ridiculous Omission!

Title says it all, cost cutting by some ignorant bean counting suit no doubt.

Been with Virginmedia since Telewest days, god help me and had my tacky green cable box and motorolla cable modem since first offered broadband, recently I supposedly 'upgraded' the modem and disposed of the router for this tacky piece of slow c**p Hub 3.0 to find it locked to IP range 192.168.0. range and no support for Apple Bonjour service. I had been using 192.168.2. range previously with my own router.

Went through he pain of redoing my static IP's for NAS boxes, scanner, printers etc, got the kids devices onto the new network all of them effing Mac's, iPhones and iPads to then find no bonjour service, so no Time Machine back ups of their devices to the NAS's, no air drop, no air play to the hifi, no air play for apple TV. Oh and stuck a piece of black insulation tape over the freaking bright white light on the front too, a bit of feedback to the product designer who thought that a cool addition.

So i'd like to say to the utter effing ignorant bean counter who chose to save some money by ignoring what is not a small Apple market share, you think you're so clever, ah! saved the company some cash did you, made you look good did it?

So I'm now having to go back to my old router and use this new hub 3.0 as a modem, that's great Virgin Media, that's real progress and a worthy upgrade including having to have time off work to receive the piece of c**p in the first place, another satisfied customer!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: When Will Hub 3.0 Support Apple Bonjour Service. Disgraceful, Ignorant and Ridiculous Omission!

Hey rjc0,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear how unhappy you are with your Hub 3, I understand your reasons and agree it sounds frustrating.

How are you getting on using your Hub as a modem with your own router?

Please let me know if there's anything I can help with.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
nph1974
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: When Will Hub 3.0 Support Apple Bonjour Service. Disgraceful, Ignorant and Ridiculous Omission!

I feel your pain brother! Same problem with an Airplay Speaker that worked perfectly well on sky. I don't know how many hours I've wasted trying all kinds of different settings in the router to get this to work, but as you say, the problem is the Bonjour service. 

Can anybody explain what the problem is with the hub 3.0 and Bonjour? 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 is fine (nearly) as a modem, but utterly useless as a router. Far better to buy your own router, lots of advise of what to use in other posts on this board. There has not been a firmware update to the Hub3 for ages and there does not seem to be one on the horizon either. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

To be honest, when I test it out, the Hub 3 does support Bonjour.  Bonjour is the Apple brand name for multicast DNS (mDNS), whereby a device will send queries using the same format as DNS to the multicast IP 224.0.0.251 port 5353, In fact, the key element of bonjour for Windows is the executable mdnsresponder.exe

I've downloaded PingTools to my Android Phone, which does include both a Bonjour and a UPnP browser.  Here's what I get when I take a look at Bonjour Browser

bonbrow.JPG

I don't have my Apple TV on the network at the moment, but I have a tool called Airserver which emulates an Apple TV allowing me to stream from my iPad to my desktop using Airplay.  I also have an Airprint Server running on my PC which allows me to print from my iPad to my printer, which doesn't itself support Airprint.

Personally, I do think the Hub 3 needs a lot more work on the Firmware.  Currently, you can't turn off ICMP echo responses.  There are no passthrough options despite the fact that it's now been released to the public for some time.  It feels as if Virgin took a step back in time, and forgot all the mistakes they made when they launched the SH1 Smiley Sad

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

nph1974
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

To give you an example of my problem with Bonjour. Right now if I flick up on the iPhone, my Airspeaker is not available, and hasn't been since the weekend when I last rebooted it, and lost it. Now if I reboot the speaker completely off and on again, when it finds the network it will appear again. I can play music from my phone quite happily for as long as I want as long as I keep this going. But if I, for example, let a track or album end and there is a time period of no activity, it disappears and is gone until I reboot the Airplay Speaker again. Just wonder if any of you more techie guys can explain why this would happen. I've used Net Analyzer which says bonjour is running after the reboot, but then if I leave it, its gone and and says not available. So strange...

Worked fine with Sky. Even okay on my mothers Virgin hub 2. I'm not willing to throw more money at something that should just work.

Regards - Nick 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've been thinking about this.  I'm, assuming these speakers are connected over Wifi?

What if the speakers themselves are losing connectivity to the hub after a period of inactivity?  The reason I suggest this is the following,

I have a Wireless printer.  Prior to me getting the hub 3, the printer would periodically lose its wifi connection to the hub.  (This was evidenced by the Wifi light flashing - to fix it I had to disable then re-enable the wifi on the printer).  Sound familiar?  What if the same thing is happening between the speakers and the hub 3 for you?  In that case, the speakers would not be able to pick up the mDNS requests, and to all intents and purposes, it would look as if the Bonjour service had stopped running.  Remember Bonjour is a passive service, it listens for incoming packets and then responds.

It can't solely be down to the speakers of course.  After all, they've worked with a couple of different routers but it might be a combination of those particular speakers and the hub 3.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

I've been thinking about this.  ...... Prior to me getting the hub 3, the printer would periodically lose its wifi connection to the hub.  (This was evidenced by the Wifi light flashing - to fix it I had to disable then re-enable the wifi on the printer).  Sound familiar?  What if the same thing is happening between the speakers and the hub 3 for you?  In that case, the speakers would not be able to pick up the mDNS requests, and to all intents and purposes, it would look as if the Bonjour service had stopped running. .....

FWIW I have also been thinking + rechecking my two concurrent IP services for SH3 and (currently) SH2AC and I don't find any evidence (yet) that SH3 does not support bonjour!  

The hypothesis postulated by Tim looks very plausible as a starter as "ARP caching/aging" is a potential issue along with "Energy Saving" since this also "bit me" with SH2 3 years ago.  The SH3 has indeed other "issues" even with 116V firmware but I don't yet see any fundamental issue with mDNS/bonjour as in addition to  Tim I run IOS10.3 on iPad(Pro12.9) MBP 15" macOSX 10.12.3 with AirCopy/AirPrint and so far I don't see a major showstopper on SH3 (compared to SH2AC)?

I also run NetAnalyzer (7.2 Pro), Bonjour Browser(Discovery,Flame, IPNetMonitor2.6.8)  across IOS10.3 and macOS10.12.3 platforms and (so far) none indicate the OP's problem scenario.

That said the OP hasn't yet detailed his IOS,  nor AirPlay Speakers models/firmware, or basic configuration data(eg DHCP Reservations / PortForwarding, Energy saving et al?)  I'd suggest we need that at least these as a minimum before trying to suggest/advise/compare further?   

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
joshtheskipper
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I raised an official complaint with Virgin yesterday morning, I was promised a phone call back before the end of the day...... still waiting

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

joshtheskipper wrote:

I raised an official complaint with Virgin yesterday morning, I was promised a phone call back before the end of the day...... still waiting

Well please let us know the outcome but kindly have some respect for the OP who raised the thread you've hijacked (without adding any technical value add for a solution or diagnostic that assists) by posting a link to your OWN OP  thread that contains all the diagnostic trail/detail that supports your complaint and/or specific issue?  

So, You have 5 posts on 3 ("hijacked - me too" )threads and so far I see no attempts at any diagnostics/environment detail etc apart from you're confirming a SH3 and a HP printer?h

FWIW I have to agree that SH3(aka Hub3.0,  Arris TG2492LG-85, VMDG505) with latest firmware V9.01.116v is not exactly user friendly,play-as-go and since the current firmware has been (apparently) frozen in some "CPE Firmware Moratorium since mid 2016" imposed by a LG/VM "bean counter" until "Puma6 Intel/Arris" chipset fix has been tested, then any corrective firmware (for many outstanding issues, including potentially yours) is presumably still on the "back boiler"?

That said several SU(and Community) members have Trialed SH3 for nearly 2years over many (SH3) firmware levels and (between us) several "Airprint compliant" Printers(and Firmware Levels)  with successful "work-arounds" on several Hardware/OS versions/configurations.

If you are genuinely interested in providing any technical value add to the Community( and more importantly, ) Original Poster then supplying at least minimalistic Hardware,OS versions, Hub firmware, DHCP Reservations, Client hardware, Firmware+OS Client versions, will at least allow some of us thet may have acces to your specific client/hardware/firmware combinations to recreate the problem "you're experiencing" without you having to provide furtherTCP/Wireshark traces that you may be unwilling(or unable, for whatever reason) to supply (due to either skill and/or time)?

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)