Menu
Marrea
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What were Kelly Communications doing with my cable access point?

I am in Area reference 31.  This morning I happened to look out of my upstairs window and saw a Kelly Communications van outside, with two engineers and one of those yellow Virgin cable pullers on a reel attached to my pavement cable access point.  I have no idea what the engineers were doing.  I had not requested any work and they didn’t ring the bell to say what was going on.  I’m not sure how long they had been there when I looked out.  I then saw one of the engineers rewind the yellow cable onto its reel, the other one appeared to be taking a photograph of the front of my house and the two of them drove off.

Unfortunately they left leaving my pavement cable access point cover wide open (letting all the rain in).  When I went out to investigate I found that whatever they had been doing had left a loop of black cable sticking out of the access point and I can no longer close the cover properly (it was flush with the ground before) because of the bulk of the cable.  I expect this is why they simply went off leaving the cover open.

Is there anyone from Virgin on here who can investigate what this work was all about and let me know?  And is there any chance at all of getting the cable tidied up and in the same state as it was before?  I attach a photograph showing how it has been left.  If you are able to PM me I can give you my account details.   Cable-Access-Point.jpg

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: What were Kelly Communications doing with my cable access point?

1 Don't worry about the rain, the pull point is not waterproof

2 If I was you I would clear out the muck around the cable and you would then probably be able to shut the lid. I know it's wrong for them to leave it like that, but you find this all the time

3 A pull point may serve more that one home

4 That colour of cable was possibly fibre or just a puller. All coax is black.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Marrea

I am sorry we took a while getting here and please accept our apologies that you were not informed about the work and the state it was left in. I notice that subsequently to your forum post you have contacted us and there is an open case so we will not intrude on that, please let us know how it goes.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
Marrea
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Nicola_C

Thank you for this.  I have indeed now received a letter from Virgin Media informing me that a member of the customer complaints department will investigate and will aim to be in touch with me in the next 2 weeks.

Just an update here.  The day after I contacted Virgin Media, Kelly Communications returned and were working on my next door neighbour's pavement access point pulling a cable through.  A few days after that, Virgin Media turned up and laid cable up my neighbour's lawn to his house.  Therefore it seems likely that whatever Kelly Communications were doing with my access point had something to do with my neighbour's connection.

I will come back and let you know what transpires once Virgin Media have contacted me.

Incidentally, I was surprised to see that the Virgin Media engineers simply dug a shallow trench in my neighbour's lawn and fed the bare cable into that, rather than inserting it into a green "snake", which is how my cable was installed nine years ago!  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Marrea

Thank you for the update, yes do keep us posted. Not sure about putting it in a green snake anymore to be honest, perhaps implementation standards or cable quality change, maybe it was armoured or more resilient, just not sure. Anyway good luck with the case.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Marrea
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It’s now three and a half weeks since I received the letter from VM saying they aimed to be in touch in the next two weeks.  I have had no response as yet but will continue to wait.

Incidentally as regards the way my neighbour’s cable was installed, needless to say he was not impressed! Cat Sad

0 Kudos
Marrea
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Customer Complaints tried to contact me yesterday and the day before, but unfortunately I missed them on both occasions.  However they did manage to catch me this morning so I am now reporting back as promised.

The gentleman I spoke to fully agreed with me that my pavement access point should never have been left in the way it had been and that anything which needed to be disturbed should be returned to the state in which it was found.  He said the customer should not notice any difference and, had they not actually witnessed the work, should be completely unaware that anything had been touched.  He also made the point that this particular case was a safety issue as someone could have easily tripped over the open cover.

After I confirmed that I myself had not requested any work, I told him that I was fairly certain the disturbance was connected to the new installation being carried out on my neighbour’s property to the right-hand side of us which took place a few days later.

I queried why in this instance there had been a need to disturb our cable at all when our own installation nine years ago had simply involved pulling a cable through from the green cabinet around the corner, leaving our neighbour’s cable on the left-hand side of us completely untouched.

He explained that sometimes with a completely new installation a neighbour’s cable has to be accessed in a case where, say, for example, the channel may have become blocked off for some reason.  I said I could understand that and appreciated that obviously the cables are Virgin’s property to do what they will with, but I would have expected anything which had been disturbed to be returned to its original state.

I mentioned that there were many examples in my area of untidy Virgin connections with cables lying about all over people’s gardens, open or broken covers on the boxes attached to houses exposing the wires, etc., etc.  He said he had no idea it was as widespread as this.  I surmised that perhaps people generally were more tolerant than me about such matters and would probably not even bother complaining.  However, being an OAP and “old school”, I laid great store by things being neat and tidy and not being carried out in a slipshod manner!

He said that if they received lots of complaints about Kelly Communications they might have to review the situation about whether to continue with them or not (without of course confirming whether they had in fact had many complaints - although I have noticed quite a few myself on internet forums so I don’t think they have a particularly good reputation) .  He said in theory there should be no difference between their own engineers and sub-contractors.  They should all work to the same standards.

(Incidentally I did take the opportunity of this conversation to mention how satisfied we were with the young man who installed our Virgin phone a couple of years ago, who carried out all the cabling etc. in our lounge extremely efficiently and quickly with no mess whatsoever.  He said he would make a note of that because VM were always glad to receive positive feedback such as this.)

So, in conclusion, I have done what I set out to do in making Virgin aware of this and am content to leave it at that.  It still rankles slightly but, as Tudor suggested above, my husband managed to get most of the cable shoved back in and was able to get the cover almost shut.  The main thing is it has not affected our connection at all, which is still fine. Because of this I didn’t even mention the possibility of getting the cable pulled back in properly as the last thing I want is Kelly Communications returning and making an even worse mess!

0 Kudos
Leon3
Just joined
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin engineers dug a hole outside our house in July and left an open hole and exposed wires. Will they ever return to fill and cover the hole?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Leon3,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the Community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the exposed cables and uncovered hole left by our engineers. I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right) so I can look into this further.

Catch you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Leon3,

Hope you're well Smiley Happy

It's been a few days since we last spoke so I just wanted to pop by and see how you're getting on.

Let us know if you still need help with this.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos