Menu
Jack_C
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What's the best way to record and document intermittent wireless connectivity issues? [LE5]

My family and I are experiencing intermittent wireless connectivity issues (worse at night) and would like to bring this to somebody's attention. I don't however want to bring it to anyone's attention without the proper supporting evidence.

How can I achieve this?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Jack

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: What's the best way to record and document intermittent wireless connectivity issues? [LE5]

OK that looks better, you now have two upstream channels with status "Success" which is how it should be.

With regard to the wireless, the Auto channel setting is supposed to pick the best channel whenever the hub is restarted.  In my experience it doesn't always get it right.  As @pyrotenax has suggested a wireless analyzer app might be worth a try to see what your wireless environment is like.  I use the one that @pyrotenax linked to, but there are others.

There is a good sticky post at the top of this board that is worth a read:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

Also bear in mind that your wireless environment is unlikely to be static and you might need to change channel again in the future due to the increasingly congested nature of the 2.4Ghz band, less so the 5Ghz band.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

All Replies
Jack_C
Dialled in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: What's the best way to record and document intermittent wireless connectivity issues? [LE5]

Bump with current upstream/downstream levels.

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.pngScreenshot_3.png

0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you have an intermittent wireless signal , maybe other devices in the area are conflicting with the wifi channels ? You could possibly use something similar to this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_GB for android , to see how crowded they are , and if so choose another channel ?

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The upstream doesn't look too good, you only have one channel with a status of "Success" when you should have at least two.  The other one looks to have struggled to lock on and given up after many retries.

When was the hub last restarted? You could try restarting the hub to see if it locks on to two upstream channels.  If it doesn't then you will probably need to book a tech visit to investigate why.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Jack_C
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @pyrotenax & @SCA1972

I chose a less congested channel in the past and still had some issues and when I posted on here back then it was suggested to stick to auto. I'll change it to a lesser used channel and restart the hub as suggested, then post my levels again as I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for.

EDIT: I should've mentioned the hub gets restarted almost weekly.

What's the difference between Auto Compatibility and Auto Performance? I was set to Channel 11 (auto) and Auto Compatibility.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Jack_C I wasn't referring to a wireless channel but the upstream channels that the hub uses to talk to the VM network.  If it can't lock on successfully to at least two upstream channels then it could impact your service.  This is not something you can adjust, that would require a technician to visit and investigate the fault and maybe make changes.  Just reboot the hub and then post the upstream figures, no need to mess with wireless channels at this stage until you have a stable connection between the hub and the VM network.

0 Kudos
Jack_C
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK thanks.

I restarted without messing with the channels.

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.pngScreenshot_3.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK that looks better, you now have two upstream channels with status "Success" which is how it should be.

With regard to the wireless, the Auto channel setting is supposed to pick the best channel whenever the hub is restarted.  In my experience it doesn't always get it right.  As @pyrotenax has suggested a wireless analyzer app might be worth a try to see what your wireless environment is like.  I use the one that @pyrotenax linked to, but there are others.

There is a good sticky post at the top of this board that is worth a read:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

Also bear in mind that your wireless environment is unlikely to be static and you might need to change channel again in the future due to the increasingly congested nature of the 2.4Ghz band, less so the 5Ghz band.