Menu
SmthDarkside
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

What is this new wire?

Hey community!

I noticed tonight that something has been done to the exterior Virgin box on my flat. A new wire has sprouted out of it, the box is now very flimsy like it's been broken, and there's a cut piece of wire left on the floor.

The wire runs out of my box, up behind a drainpipe, along the wall a bit, then enters into a flat above.

Is this standard practice if someone new has recently got an installation in my building? I am wondering if I am sharing bandwidth with my new "box buddy". Compared to the black wire for my own installation the new one looks pretty unprofessional.

I tried calling Virgin and was passed from team to team until someone hung up on me. Not an issue I can describe easily over the phone!

New and discarded wireNew and discarded wireInside the (now flimsy) boxInside the (now flimsy) boxGoing into the wall upstairsGoing into the wall upstairs

0 Kudos
stuart345
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: What is this new wire?

The connection appears to be properly installed. The type of connector is not a cheap OTC and crimps fir it are not cheap. If it was not virgin installed the client has the tools to do this and it is not their first time. I agree the excess wire is a bit shoddy, but could be a new installer doing the job.

Anyway back to point. The installation may be ok but all virgin lines being in two connections usually. Typically for semi detached or upstairs/downstairs.so you also are not lijely to be sharing internet since virgin servers control individual speeds.

If you are still worried about bandwidth do a speed check and monitor it weekly till you are sure you broad band is yours and not shared.
0 Kudos