Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 5 (117 Views)

What Does A Person Need To Do To Actually Have Services Installed?

I recently moved to a new property unfortunately due to incidents of violence at my old property, and desperately want internet as I am an autistic person whose only outlet to the world is the internet, and I don't watch TV or anything, so the internet is my life.

Unfortunately as I haven't got internet, I have never got settled into my new property which I urgently need to do in order to be able to plan important brain surgery for another life threatening disease.

I had a saleman come round in the middle of April who assessed my property and said Virgin could install, and he noted I was lucky I had gone via a saleman instead of contacting Virgin direct as the saleman assessed it would be a two man install, and he said if I had gone direct I would have just had one person come round and fail to install then wait for a two man install.

I waited until the date of my install, when only one person came and said he could not do it as it was impossible due to the length of the cable run. I went with him, and it became apparent he was talking about using the furthest connection point to my building which would have been far away, and there were many other closer connection points I identified which he had not. Then he said it would be a two man job so I had to wait for a preinstall/survey visit.

The preinstall confirmed there was no reason services could not be installed, but he informed me it would require a little extra time and if extra time was not booked to the job the subcontracted engineers would just take one look and run, so he sent information to your office stating the job was possible but required extra time to be booked. 

Another install date was booked, and late in the evening the day before my install, I spoke to people at the preinstall department who said an install could not happen as there was no agreed route (despite a route being agreed at the preinstall visit). I spoke to numerous people on the phone who all said the same and after lengthy discussion, I was told the only way I could have a service was if an engineer left me a roll of cable with instructions on how to run the cable, then once I had run the cable myself I should call for an engineer to terminate the connections at both sides. 

So I waited for my appointment to receive my roll of cable, but on the day the person stated he wasn't there to deliver me cable, but he had come for a preinstall/survey, and yet again he agreed there was no reason my flat is unserviceable, and he arranged another install date for me.

So I patiently waited again for my install date which is today, the engineer came round and immediately declared it was impossible to service my flat. I was surprised as the engineer was stated the connection points I had been talking about at the front of the building could not be used, and the engineer stated the only route would be from other connection points on the other side of the building but when I opened up these connection points it was apparent they were covers for drain pipes and nothing to do with Virgin media. The Engineer stated that my install would require a cable to go over a roof therefore could not be done, even when I pointed out another Virgin media install that did traverse over the roof. 

So after waiting many months I still have no idea if/how I can receive a service.

In my honest opinion, as two preinstall visits have been performed to confirm I can receive a Virgin service, I don't think it should be a big deal for someone to come round and install the cable.

If the above is not true, then it goes to show the preinstall procedure is a total waste of the time of Virgin Media staff and their customers, so I would like to be given a reel of cable so I can pay a person such as a TV aerial installer to run the cable with Virgin left to connect up both ends.

As it stands, I am being given conflicting answers every time I am in touch with Virgin Media, which to date is the worst customer service I have received from any company, and I hope someone can let me know how we can move forwards as I am desperate to draw an end to this nonsense.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5 (105 Views)

Re: What Does A Person Need To Do To Actually Have Services Installed?

Hi WaitingForever

I appreciate that this has been a very long process for you and it's not over yet I can see and my apologies for the experience you have had. I understand you are going through a lot with your personal health as mentioned and we would like to see what we can do to support.

If you can drop me a PM with:

• Your name
  • The account holders name if this is not you
  • Your full address
  • Your preferred contact number

I can then look into this for you.

To PM me, simply:

• Click on my profile link Karen_A
  • On the right had side, select the 'send me a message' option.

Thanks again

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5 (73 Views)

Hi WaitingForever

I am incredibly sorry but after investigation it appears the teams have decided that the property is non serviceable. They called you to advise about this on Tuesday just after you got back to me on your PM.

I have responded with more information on your PM to me if you need this.

Kindest regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 5 (47 Views)

I received a PM which states my flat is unserviceable because Virgin cannot drill through a tiled roof, and there is no other cable drop point at my building.

All times we have identified cable routes that do not involve going through the roof, and just to add insult to injury there is another install that does actually go through the roof.

The first time an engineer came round to fob me off, I was told the cable drop point was too far away to have a reliable service - he somehow managed to ignore all the points close to me and was talking about the point that was furthest away.

The last time an engineer came round to fob me off, she told me what I identified as the points were not the ones to be used and to connect my flat services would have to come from points on the other side of the building. These points she declared that were the only way of getting a service where actually drain covers.

So to date, I have twice been told my install would require two people which would be booked to the job, but both aborted installs have only had one engineer turn up. I have had two pre-installs/surveys which have confirmed services can be installed.

Even if Virgin can not be bothered and think it is fine to dump their work on a disabled person, I am willing to do this and pay for a professional to install my cable, and on the last lengthy dispute with the pre-install manager, I was told cable and connectors would be dropped for me to install. I still haven't heard any reason why after waiting for a reel of cable and connectors to be dropped, why this hasn't happened.

I had hoped posting on a forum might actually result in a service, but the excuses I've been given are even worse than the excuses given by the "engineers".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Message 5 of 5 (39 Views)

Its not "excuses". Its the reasons the install aint going to happen. Reading through your thread..

• No-one should drill through a tiled roof. No matter how you re-instate you get water ingress.
  • Running a cable from drop point to a roof, then in to an interior install is too long a cable run in 99% of cases. Power levels will be too far out of spec.
  • Assuming your not on the ground floor, sounds like the cable run from drop point to interior install is also too long for power levels to be optimal
  • Sounds like you need a heights team- and they are as rare as hens teeth in VM
  • No matter what the installs manager told you, VM are NOT going to drop off some cable and connectors for some random dude to run to the drop point.

In some ways its actually a good thing VM are more picky about what installs they will/wont do, as it keeps costs in control. Not what you want to hear I know, but its time to look for alternatives. Is BT Infinity available to you?

Not trying to be awkward, it just sounds like youve had some lousy feedback up to now and I prefer to give the REAL picture that sometimes staff cant do.

0 Kudos