Menu
mbdrake
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Web Filter interfering with third party online backup service

Good morning,

I'm no longer a customer (we'll see next year when my Sky Q contract expires..), but I'd like to ask if I am able to get some support for the Virgin Media Web Safe filter because I operate an online service called SquirrelSave and the VM Web Filter is interfering with it.  I've tried asking on Twitter and they've just referred me here.

Specifically what is happening is that a Virgin Media broadband customer who uses our service along with your web filter has their unique hostname for their backup server resolve to the following IP (or similar) which stops the backup service working unless we get them to alter their OS hosts file, or we get them to disable the VM web filter.

62.252.172.241 (know-sspiprxy-vip.network.virginmedia.net)

We'd like to ask if there is a way within the Web Filter to whitelist or override specific hostnames / sites to prevent this from happening, or is the only way to get your customer to disable the web filter completely?

0 Kudos
mbdrake
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Web Filter interfering with third party online backup service

Any news on this, or any idea who I've got to talk to at Virgin Media about the Web Safe service?  Seems unreasonable that this service is impacting both Virgin customers and the service I run.  The only workaround at the moment is to get people to disable Web Safe completely.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Martyn

0 Kudos
mbdrake
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Can someone remind me how often Virgin representatives check this forum?  

I'm getting nowhere with this and I'm still getting reports from my customers that use Virgin Media that they can't backup their PCs/Macs because of the silly filter/proxy that Virgin Media uses that's hijacking DNS lookups.  Next stage may be to write a formal complaint (via post given it seems that it's pretty difficult to talk to a telecommunications company via electronic means).  But it has certainly put me off ever using Liberty Global products personally ever again.

1) No email or contact forms via the Contact Us page.  None of the options are relevant to the situation.  I've already been mistaken for a customer and advised to post here (using my account that I had when I was a customer), which I've done.  Nothing.  Nada.  Zip.

2) I don't want to use the customer support phone line when the possibility of speaking to somebody who is just going to redirect me here or thinks I'm a customer.  I am not a customer.  I am somebody who operates a service where a Virgin Media "service" is directly impacting the service for *my* customers.

So, again, without having to resort to a formal complaint by post - is there any means of getting direct contact with somebody at Virgin Media about the web safe/web filters and how to work together to resolve the issue?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi mbdrake, 

Thanks for your post and apologies for the length of time it's taken to reach you. Smiley Sad

As far as I'm aware there isn't a way to do this but I would need to look into this in a little more detail. 

Bear with me for now. I'm going to refer this over to our Broadband experts to take a look. They will pop back here to help as soon as possible. 

In the meantime you may be able to find help on our Help and Support Page found here: Web Safe Help and maybe one of our Superusers will be able to offer advice too? 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi mbdrake,

Web Safe is comprised of two categories - Virus Safe and Child Safe. I would like to know if your client is using one or the other, or both.
Child Safe does have the option to filter (block or unblock) specific url's or content.
Virus Safe does not.
However, we (VM) are able to update our Virus Safe filter list. The Web Safe settings can be customised via our website. Please direct your client to log in to My Virgin Media and select  Web Safe from the My Apps tab.
At the bottom right of the page is a reporting tool to request inclusion of a site for blocking or unblocking. I'll be interested to know whether or not that works so please keep me updated. If you do need further support with this I'll get in touch with the team who manage this program to seek their advice.

Websafereporting.jpg

Kind regards,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos