Menu
PH1PP5Y
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Weak signal strength

Hi
My now TV and Amazon fire stick works in all the rooms in the house apart from the living room the strength of the signal just drops and not be able to watch any programs. My router is the super hub 3 and it's upstairs in the house I've phoned virgin 3 times and I just get "the line your on is bad we will transfer you to a good one" still the same I thought a router should provide internet all over the house for what I pay its just annoying been a member since 2009 and my friends house has lower speed connection bigger house more rooms and they are with bt and the connection doesn't dip and works in every room just looking to see if there is a solution to the issue before I start looking for a new supplier thanks.
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Weak signal strength

Wifi is a bit of a black art and no one can garante you perfect wifi all over your house.

Start by getting a Wifi Scanner app on your phone and use it to see if their are any channel conflicts with neighbours wifi in various parts of your house.

You can also use it to  look at signal stength as well.

try and imagine a direct line between where your router is and the sitting room, does it pass through any walls, especially at an angle and can anything be moved to reduce it.

Also is the router situated near any large metal objects such as radiators ? Situating it near a wall is also bad.

the superhub has an internal antenna which doesn't help, but re orientating the hub may also help.

and finally do you have any baby alarms or other things that may interfere with the signal.

0 Kudos
hackneydave
Dialled in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

you might want to try a USB wifi dongle with better antennas. I have an Alfa Networks dongle that comes with two 7" outboard antennas - it's giving a huge boost to 5Ghz reception and seems well-tuned for an ac signal.  Check option #7 in the article linked in below.

http://uk.pcmag.com/networking-reviews-ratings-comparisons/9609/feature/10-ways-to-boost-your-wi-fi-...

David Smith | Blueyonder pioneer (2001) | Mac OS X Sierra, WIndows 10, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, iOS and Android | Internal Distro via Ethernet Cat 6, 5 Ghz 802.11ac wireless and HomePlug Av2
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

all the VM hubs are get you going devices - they work for the majority but as said above many things can and do affect wifi - the real/best answer is hub into modem mode and add your own 3rd party wifi router - the difference is usually chalk and cheese

Tony
0 Kudos