Menu
jbraner
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

WPA2 passwords with wifi repeaters?

Hi,

The last time I looked, when trying to set up a Netgear wireless router as an extender for my superhub (3) wifi network - it wouldn't work with WPA2 passwords. I think I had to set it up with no passwords (!).

Does anyone know if there is something (hopefully cheap) I can use to extend my superhub wifi network, and let me keep WPA2 passwords on both of the devices?

I've already got a couple of ethernet ports that plug in to the AC wall sockets, so I can use the one ethernet port in my "far away" room - but it would be nice to plug in a wifi router to that port instead and have good wifi coverage in the "far away" room.

Thanks for any ideas...

rgds,

John B
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WPA2 passwords with wifi repeaters?

You can have the routers, access points using the same wireless name and security, so it will give roaming without the need for disconnecting and re-connecting to the other network.
With repeaters they can slash the wifi speed by over 50% since if the signal isn’t strong to start with going to make it worse..
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Basically yes, just as long as they match exactly for wireless name aka SSID and the wireless passphrase/key
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Depends on budget, could Google top 10 access points, since these are normally wired into primary router, and lot better than repeater
0 Kudos
jbraner
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Paul,

I was thinking about this. I guess there's a difference between wiring a second router in to the super hub, and using a repeater that is actually "joining" and "expanding" the wireless network.

I guess if you wire the second unit into the superhub, you'll really have a second wifi network that routes through the second device in to the superhub (primary network)

rgds,

John B
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can have the routers, access points using the same wireless name and security, so it will give roaming without the need for disconnecting and re-connecting to the other network.
With repeaters they can slash the wifi speed by over 50% since if the signal isn’t strong to start with going to make it worse..
0 Kudos
jbraner
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

[quote]You can have the routers, access points using the same wireless name and security, so it will give roaming without the need for disconnecting and re-connecting to the other network.[/quote]

You mean use the same SSID etc - even though it's really 2 networks?

rgds,

John B
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Basically yes, just as long as they match exactly for wireless name aka SSID and the wireless passphrase/key
0 Kudos
jbraner
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK thanks - I'll try this (I have an old Netgear router)

rgds,

John B
0 Kudos