Menu
Helpmeplease1
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

WORKING FROM HOME - Superhub 3.0 with no VPN PPTP pass through

My work is requiring that we start working from home next month via VPN.

I’ve been told by my IT guy that I need to allow PPTP pass through in order for this to work. I’m currently on Superhub 3.0 and can’t see the tick box for this in my router settings.

It's also been suggested that switching to modem mode might work but this disables the wifi in my flat and I don’t have cables to plug everything in. (Also this seems like a rubbish solution considering that this is meant to be an upgraded hub and my bill went up by £2.50 for no reason this month)

If anyone could please help that would be great!

0 Kudos
Helpmeplease1
Joining in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: WORKING FROM HOME - Superhub 3.0 with no VPN PPTP pass through

Seriously no fix for this?

Ive just spent an hour speaking to Virgin tech support with no outcome. They kept calling it 'VTN'...

Anyway after spelling it out for them they took remote control of my computer and re-ticked the boxes id already ticked - with no luck

They then told me nothing was wrong with the Virgin media service despite all of my co workers connecting seamlessly on BT and Sky. I then asked them if I should find another internet provider (one that allows PPTP passthrough) to which they said yes..

So much for customer support Virgin..

0 Kudos
sammit
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

I am facing the same issue.

With regards to config, see topic Hub3.0 & VPN

They have forgotten the VPN recipe.

If you have option to go to 'Modem mode'.. then a LAN connected computer would be able to get to VPN.

But there are gotchas.

1. you computer will be exposed out in wide public IP domain and vulnerable to attack.

2. WIFI does not work, so you can not share it with other co-users 

3. use long press reset button to get back to router mode.(in case  you tried modem mode)

4. You have a to use a good router behind the Virgin CPE (which is in Modem mode) to share.

Hope it helps. I am still waiting for a new firmware update to fix this. for some reason they have pushed in a trial firmware on my CPE and kind of kill all VPN capabilities.

0 Kudos
123jack
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If I had to guess they are trying to stop you running your own servers - something they have

no business doing. How you use your very expensive connection is your own affair.

0 Kudos
RalphSingleton
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Has any one considered legal action?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hey Helpmeplease1,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your VPN, I know this can be fiddly.

Have you tried applying the IP address into the DMZ rule? To do this, log into your Hub, go to Advanced Settings, Security, then DMZ. If that works then we know it's a problem with the ports.

Could you get back to us with your results.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Liamurphy1920
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The problem is the software on the Hub 3.0 forget what tec say i asked for the 2.0ac super hub and problem solved HUB 3.0 does not work with VPN'S 

0 Kudos
Andyboygsi
Just joined
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I am having a nightmare with this too.

Myself and my wife both work for the same company

She works from home permanently so this is clearly a huge problem
0 Kudos
Craig19l
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

As virgin not solved this issue yet, surely with more and more people working from home some one must have looked at it

0 Kudos
java_dude
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Has anyone solved this yet? I was able to use vpn to work from home on my superb 3 for the past year but suddenly from today I'm not able to any longer. 

Asked support line and they said there hadn't been any firmware changes recently to my router so I'm wondering why it started filing. They suggested my ip might be being blocked on the vpn at work

I had to put my router into modem mode to allow vpn to work which meant no wifi for the house Smiley Sad

I'm contemplating pulling my superhub 2 out of the loft and trying that instead as I believe you are still able to access and enable the router settings to allow PPTP pass through

0 Kudos