Menu
VJHF
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

WIFI drop on internet telepone and wifi calling

I have very high download speeds. However, whenever I make calls with my Voip phone (work) or wifi calling on internet, there is always a short drop out of a few seconds every few minutes. It is very annoying.

I have tried the usual stuff: switching off and on the router and phone etc. The work phone is a wired connection on powerline and the mobile is via EE wifi calling. I would really appreciate some help with this.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: WIFI drop on internet telepone and wifi calling

Hi there VJHF,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to read you are having issues with the wireless connection and WiFi calling.

Looking at your connection, I can see you are using the Super Hub in modem mode, are you using your own router for the wireless connection? Have you tried the VOIP phone whilst connected directly to the Super Hub?

Do you only notice the disconnection on the internet phone and wifi calling, or can it happen whilst browsing the internet?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
VJHF
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure whether it also happens on internet browsing. It is certainly less noticeable.

I am not sure that the router can be the reason because the same thing happens on my wireless connection on my mobile telephone.

The phone is plugged into the same router as my PC which has recorded speeds as follows: 12 ping, download 167.54, upload 12.16.

Very keen for further help.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey VJHF,

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy

I appreciate the additional info, it's very helpful. I wonder if we enable all the Firewall options, if this will help. It's certainly worth a try, so please log into your Hub (192.168.0.1) and then access the Advanced Settings, then Security, then Firewall and this is where you will see 4 tick boxes. Can you please enable all of the options and reboot your Hub.

Please let us know if this changes anything.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
VJHF
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Heather. I have another Draytek router which I use. The 192.168.0.1 give access to this: Vigor 2860 series. 

I can access the firewall settings through this, but should I change it?

I appreciate your help, because the dropping issue is important to me as I work from home.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi VJHF,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this as Heather's not in today.

I hate to ask for the obvious but I really think we should remove as many variables from the equation as we can. So please disable modem mode on your Hub and test out your VOIP connection via the Hub's wireless.

I'm interested to see the results of this. If the same problem is evident then we can at least discount your Draytek from our line of investigation.

I'd also like to know what VOIP software you're using please, so I can find out more about it.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
VJHF
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

I use a MItel 5340 IP Phone, but the same problem emerges on my wifi calling.

I cannot disable the Draytek router easily (or at all!).

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello VJHF

Your connection is looking very good from here, no SNR issues, line stats all nicely within specification. I appreciate that it may be difficult but the next step as Jen mentioned would be to eliminate the Draytek from the equation. What about just trying the work phone directly into the hub in modem only mode (may need a reboot once connected to work by the way)

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos