Menu
AntonyMee
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WI-FI CRISIS

hi all

I am hoping that someone on here can help with with a persistant problem I'm having.

I have a VM superhub which I have used for the past year along with a BT mini wifi extender kit (powerline wifi). 

I had the wifi switched off on the superhub and just used the BT wifi network which spead the signal throughout my flat nicely and gave me a CAT5 port next to my desktop computer at the far end of the flat ,furthest away from the superhub.

All worked great for about 8 months until suddenly the internet stopped working altogether. Then it came back on at a very slow speed, then off, then slow etc etc.

So I turned the BT kit off and turned back on the wifi on the superhub.

If i plug my laptop directly into the superhub using a Cat5 cable, I get about 100mb/s which is obviously great.

If i used the wifi, even in the same room as the hub, I get about 5mb/s sometimes even less.

the wifi barely reaches down to the desktop and the speed over wifi at that computer is about 1mb/s.

I have tried switching wifi channels, usnig a wifi monitor to make sure i use the clearest channel, switching off anything else that uses wifi in the flat (sonos speakers etc) to eliminate the problem and Im still no further on.

does anyone have any suggestions of what I could be missing here?

if it was a problem with the VM network then I wouldnt get good speeds when hardwired to the hub.

If it was a problem with the wifi part of the hub then It wouldnt stop the BT wifi kit working either

Im at a loss and barely able to receive phone calls as I have to use WIFICALL on my iphone due to poor signal.

no phone, hardly any wifi, cant use my desktop .... how will i survive ?? Smiley Happy

Thanks for reading my ramblings 

Antony

0 Kudos
ash1122
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: WI-FI CRISIS

.... Maybe some kids have been interfering with the green junction box on your street and disturbed some wiring , check outside cable and connectors are ok as well , wifi might be electrical interference ,  move router and try - option 2 get an engineer out Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Tsar
Up to speed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

what speed do you get if you plug your laptop into the powerline ethernet port at the far end of your flat?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As you are getting headline speed connected directly to the hub then that proves the Internet connection is fine and any suggestion that kids have been messing with the street cab is absolute rubbish.

Does your flat have it's own electric supply with your own consumer board, or is it communal?

As Tsar says, it would be wise to test the powerline speeds close to the hub and in a socket in the far end of the flat. Powerline adapters can be adversley affected by noise on your electrical circuits, and if the supply is communal then your neighbours as well. I am assuming that you are plugging the adapters directly into the socket and not through an extension strip. It could be a case of your powerline adapters failing.

On the wireless side, there are many things that could affect your wireless connection from your neighbours. It might worth doing a bit of detective work and find out if anyone is using A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, new micropwave oven, security systems etc.

Using the 5Ghz band might improve things if your client devices support it.

0 Kudos
AntonyMee
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help guys

I'm now 100% happy that the virgin is working as it should, although the signal is still not very good and i will need to use some kind of power line extender.

The BT extender doesn't work at all in any room/any socket so I have given it to a friend to try at his house. If it doesn't work there then its broken and at least I know what the issue is.

My flat does have its own consumer unit and I have never had any problems before. Granted it could be an electrical problem thats just cropped up but I'm not convinced to be honest.

I also wonder whether my SONOS system has been causing an issue with the wifi. I have had it unplugged for a couple of weeks now whilst I try and solve this problem so I should try it back on and see if I lose signal again

Thanks again for the advice

Antony

0 Kudos