Menu
Gurn44
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Vivid 200mb 5Ghz not working

Hi,

I am on the Vivid 200MB broadband package and have the superhub 2 modem/router.  My issue is that I can connect to both the 2.4GHz and 5.0Ghz signals but the later one even though it says I am connected when trying to use my Samsung S7 phone to surf the internet it does not work.  When I switch the 2.4GHZ signal everything works fine.  Has anyone else had this issue and if so how do you resolve this.

I have tried rebooting the hub and still this issue occurs.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200mb 5Ghz not working

Hi Gurn44, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see that you have had trouble with the 5Ghz frequency not working.

Do you mean when you switch the 2.4GHZ frequency off or when you switch to it. Apologies for not quite understanding but I want to be clear.

It may help to take a look at this link (please be aware link is external and we're not responsible for its content). 

Let us know how you get on. 

Emma

* forgot to close bracket

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
davsco1973
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

i can see a pattern emerging hear, its obvious there are problems with the super hub and 5G but virgin dont seem to want to do anything about, i have been having trouble on and off for the last few weeks or so, done everything from changing channels to even doing a full factory reset

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi davsco1973, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having similar issues.

The common theme seems to be the Galaxy S7 with any Wifi, there does seem to be ways around it but from the research I have done it does not seem to be particular to just  Virgin Media equipment. 

I have seen S7 users in America with similar issues. 

Did the link provided in the previous post help at all? 

Let us know how you are getting on. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
davsco1973
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

well i dont actually own a Samsung S7 phone so maybe its something else kicking out the 5G signal and screwing things up, but cant think for the life of me what it could be, my mobile phone is not connected to the wifi so it not that, my sky Q box is hard wired, my pc is hard wired and so is my laptop, so i dont know what the problem is and i also work in IT and have tried everything i can think off, its very starnge 

0 Kudos
Gurn44
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,

Its not only my Samsung phone but other devices like my daughters iphones and ipads. Everytime I reset the router from the back we can all connect to the 5GHz frequency but after a while this drops again and we have to use the 2.4Ghz frequency. This we have now problem with but with me paying a large subscription for this broadband package I would like to get to the bottom of why I keep having wifi issues with the 5Ghz frequency.
Over the past week I have probably reset my router 7/8 times.
0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried taking the router off "auto" and actually choosing a frequency/channel ?

Install Wifi Analyser on your phone and check how congested the surroundings are ...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_GB

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
Gurn44
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your advice.  I downloaded the wifi analyser as you recommended and it did show me that the current channel I was on for my 5G was not the best however the better channels it recommended ie 149..161 when I went into my super hub settings did not exist so I could not manually set this up for the 5G. On the hub settings it only went to channel 132+136. How could I actually set it to be one of the above channels? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Channels 149 to 161 are reserved for short range devices in this country, and the power is restricted to 25mW by law. The normal transmit power for the 5Ghz band ranges from 200mW to 1W with 200mW being the norm.

The 5Ghz band has a shorter range than the 2.4Ghz band and is less efficient at passing through obstacles, so setting up a 5Ghz wireless network takes a bit of thought and in all likelyhood, help from a more powerful router or the addition of additional wireless access points.

0 Kudos
Gurn44
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have set it up to channel 132 as this was on the wifi analyser as a better channel.  Would this be ok or would you advise getting some wireless access points around the house.

0 Kudos