Menu
amicopackaging
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virginmedia Browsing is too slow with eBay site fromlast couple of weels

From last couple of weeks eBay messages url are not working or very slow with virginmedia borad band whats the solution please

0 Kudos
Barmyllama
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virginmedia Browsing is too slow with eBay site fromlast couple of weels

Same for me. Ebay is practically unusable.

Only been back with Virgin for a two weeks and so far they've left us without a phone for 10 days after our install, because the subcontractor was incompetent and a liar. And it would still be off if I hadn't contacted them. He didn't connect the second box to the hub and I had to do it.

The supposed 200Mb has never cracked 100Mb.

The second V6 box disconnected itself from the hub and recordings and planned recordings disappeared.

0 Kudos
amicopackaging
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

rest of the websites are fine

0 Kudos
mitch84
Superfast
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Same here, messaging is in complete meltdown on Ebay.

It seems to be an issue with Ebay and people using VM as all the reports on eBay community are from people with a VM connection.

Maybe a forum mod could acknowledge and tell us whats up? , as this is really rubbish for us who need to reply to messages on Ebay.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello all,

Thanks for posting and apologies for not getting here sooner.

Sorry to hear about the problems with accessing eBay, does this happen on wireless and hard-wired devices? Also, multiple browsers? Is this an intermittent fault or does it happen all of the time?

I'd like to investigate further so please get back to us,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
mrwhitti
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi , i will explain for you so there is no need for additional information.

For the past 2 weeks access to ebay for buyers & sellers alike has at time been very slow, non responsive & intermittent with pages timing out.

Access to ALL (and i do mean ALL) other websites are unaffected.

The version of windows, browser, LAN or Wireless does not matter as the problems occur on all of them. Since Sunday 12th March the situation has been getting more frequent and for the past few days accessing ebay has been very very slow to impossible between 9am & 10pm. These times are spot on and accurate as before 9am the access & speed is fine & fast and the same after 10pm. For a few days there were a few few times i managed to get access by changing the DNS settings on my windows IP to the google DNS or any other free DNS however this has now stopped making a difference. The only way to get the fast & proper access is to use the latest OPERA BROWSER which has a built in VPN, once installed & VPN enabled access to ebay is fine.

For your information we had a similar problem last year which was picked up on and sorted fairly quickly because the DNS/ROUTING problem caused no access at all and both VIRGIN & EBAY were blaming each other for the fault however i am sure the thousands of complaints and the fact that it went national press & tech websites and social media forced communication between both parties and the problem was resolved.

I have included some links for you below to confirm there is a very serious problem  and we would like someone to acknowledge this and get it sorted as you will see from the hundreds of comments many ebay sellers are seeing a sharp & overnight drop in sales simply because buyers cannot access the site

3G & 4G mobile access ( not over WiFi ) seems unaffected.

http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/ebay

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/eBay-running-very-slow-messages-listings-etc/m-...

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/hi-has-anyone-else-s-sales-just-died-off-i-ve-f...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi All

Thank you for all the information provided. 

Are you having trouble accessing eBay via http://www.ebay.co.uk/ or http://www.ebay.com/ or both? 

Can you provide any traceroutes so we can get a better picture as to what is happening when you try to connect to this site. 

Keep us posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi mrwhitti,

Just as a quick additional your upstream power levels are too high, I would like to get an engineer out to correct this for you. I will pop you a PM to get this arranged. 

Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi mrwhitti,

Thanks for getting back in touch and for the Traceroute provided. 

It looks like it is failing off our network, do you have the same type of Traceroute with the hub in Modem only Mode

I am wondering if the IP change would make a difference.

Additionally if you would like me to book an engineer for your upstream power levels do let me know. 

Many thanks

Emma

0 Kudos
Jono777
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I hope this helps. It worked for me. Virgin Media is also my ISP & I've found a solution for anyone using a PC who is experiencing really slow eBay messaging...& sometimes timing out waiting for the page to load. Really annoying if you have 10 messages to reply to - takes up to half an hour!

I have been using Firefox, Chrome, IE, Opera & Pale Moon - all slow.

Then I read that the new Opera browser has an inbuilt VPN which changed everything.

What is a VPN? A VPN or Virtual Private Network is a method used to add security and privacy to private and public networks, like WiFi Hotspots and the Internet. VPNs are most often used by corporations to protect sensitive data.

This solved the slow messaging problem immediately. I still don't know who's is to blame but this work around worked for me & lots of others with the same problem. Also Opera is a better browser so give it a go & tell your friends because I've told eBay & they have not mentioned it on their announcement board so I doubt they will as it's not affecting everyone & if you use ebay.com the problem disappears so it's only affecting UK.

0 Kudos