Menu
Cass2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin wi-fi issues

Hi,

Just joined this forum as I am a long time Virgin Media Customer and I've had some issues with both my boxes (Tevo box was completely frozen and V+ box was pixellating with sound distortion), both of which were replaced last weekend are now working again.

Coincidentally or otherwise, I also have a wifi signal drop-off on my iPhone 7 and iPad which has been ongoing for some months now. Both devices will show that there is a good wifi connection but I often get signal hanging or the server cannot be reached screen, even though the devices show I am connected. My wife's devices have exactly the same problem and it becoming increasingly frustrating when browsing the internet or when checking emails. The only way round it is to either switch off and reconnect to wifi or switch it off and revert to 3/4G.

All my devices (iPhone 7 and iPad Air/Air2) have the latest software updates and I regularly switch off the wifi router and reboot it. I have also done several online system checks with Virgin Media and there have been no significant problems in my area.

Having read some threads on here it seems like there is an issue with my Virgin Media signal and it seems that a router upgrade may (or may not) resolve this issue.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin wi-fi issues

.... Rather than disabling one or t'other, if you connect with a single SSID then it would be better to rename the SSIDs so that 2.4 & 5GHz have different names. That will stop automatic switching between the two by your client devices.

Equally likely, though, is that there is a problem in the circuit. We could take a look at that possibility if thou post your ROUTER STATUS information;mdownstream & upstream power levels.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for the stats. Your upstream power snapshot, though just in range, is rather high - meaning the modem has to push hard to get signal up to the VM end. Look again at the upstream and refresh the screen every 5 seconds and see if the upstream power is jumping around in .25dB increments and reaching the upper limit, 54dBmv.

But if you are having WiFi problems, it's no surprise because you have that wretched VMDG480 - the original 6 year old Superdud 1.

The VM bods should arrange for that to be replaced and I dare say when they get to this thread that is exactly what they will do.

0 Kudos

All Replies
andyjstew
Up to speed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cass2,

I've seen a similar issue to this before and it was resolved by disabling the 5Ghz band on the Virgin Media hub and reverting back to the 2.4Ghz band only, perhaps worth a test?

Cass2
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response - I'll try that next
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

.... Rather than disabling one or t'other, if you connect with a single SSID then it would be better to rename the SSIDs so that 2.4 & 5GHz have different names. That will stop automatic switching between the two by your client devices.

Equally likely, though, is that there is a problem in the circuit. We could take a look at that possibility if thou post your ROUTER STATUS information;mdownstream & upstream power levels.

0 Kudos
Cass2
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Seph - here are my readings:

IMG_0358.PNGIMG_0359.PNG

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for the stats. Your upstream power snapshot, though just in range, is rather high - meaning the modem has to push hard to get signal up to the VM end. Look again at the upstream and refresh the screen every 5 seconds and see if the upstream power is jumping around in .25dB increments and reaching the upper limit, 54dBmv.

But if you are having WiFi problems, it's no surprise because you have that wretched VMDG480 - the original 6 year old Superdud 1.

The VM bods should arrange for that to be replaced and I dare say when they get to this thread that is exactly what they will do.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cass2,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read that you are having issues with your wireless network.

When checking your connection, the upstream power levels are now looking much better at 49 dBmV, which is good.

I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some additional information in regards to this issue.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Maidmarion12106
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am having the same problem as you , but I have in the last 6 months got the new super hub it still hasn't fixed the problem , I have been with them since cable or telecential as it was called back in 1981 the last 3 yrs I've had lots of problems with my bob and wi fi but it has got a lot worse the last few months

0 Kudos