Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin super hub 3 firmware

awalos wrote:

What this is about?

After the change to SuperHub 3....

5865437835.png

Earlier on SuperHub 2ac...

08.12.2016.png

Reboot the hub 3 and check you have more than one downstream channel.

0 Kudos
awalos
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 39
Flag for a moderator

How many times I must restart the c.... ???

a5865475611.png

0 Kudos
awalos
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 39
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
paul73mt
Joining in
Message 25 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I have just got a Hub 3 and it's crap you have to set it up for 'force' devices to use the 5Ghz Wi-Fi and the down load it 50% lower than my previous super hub 2 (not sure if it was the AC one) will give it a week doing some more speed tests if still poor then will ask for the previous hub.

Current F/W 9.1.88J5

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 26 of 39
Flag for a moderator

paul73mt wrote:

I have just got a Hub 3 and it's crap you have to set it up for 'force' devices to use the 5Ghz Wi-Fi and the down load it 50% lower than my previous super hub 2 (not sure if it was the AC one) will give it a week doing some more speed tests if still poor then will ask for the previous hub.

Current F/W 9.1.88J5

Firmware 9.1.88J5 is the first public firmware from over a year ago. The hub should have automatically updated to the current firmware 9.1.116V. I would factory reset it using the pin in the back. It may take a couple of hours to update completely after that.

0 Kudos
klynchk
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I've worked in a similar technological industry and I can add that Virgin Media will also have contractual obligations to keep information (like bug lists and release notes) from their suppliers confidential.

Normally though information can be released on need to know basis - especially if the recipient is willing to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

For any consumer device my top tip is always ensure that you are running the latest publically available s/w - With lead times and shipping from manufacturers equipment can often be shipped on older versions.

I can tell the VirginMedia SuperHub is so "new" that there were doubtless a few implementation bugs which had to be ironed out.

I can say that other than HW issue with my first box - I've been very impressed by the robustness and ease of use of the device.

Also I can tell you that most "consumers" behave and have very different expectations of equipment from people using this board

0 Kudos
igadiz
Tuning in
Message 28 of 39
Flag for a moderator

We have just upgraded from SH1 150Mb to SH3 300mb vivid.

I plugged the SH3 to main computer to set moden mode right out of the box and before attaching the Virgin wire. Called for activation and SH3 run through setup and firmware update in just over 20 minutes. Speed is a huge jump from what we were getting before, and seems stable across our normal use. We run a Linksys EA9500 with Linksys Max-stream AC1900 setup and get consistent speed through the house. June 26, 169Mb with SH1.Today with SH3 right after installation 332Mb with similar speed an hour later. So far so good.  

IMG_3946.PNG

0 Kudos
Kido89
Tuning in
Message 29 of 39
Flag for a moderator

the point is if you use SH3 in modem mode with decent 3rd party router it help a lot but try to run SH3 in router mode which suppose to be this way and then check on "great speeds" and "perfect" pings
0 Kudos
igadiz
Tuning in
Message 30 of 39
Flag for a moderator

You have a very valid point, but I have never used the router capabilities of any equipment supplied by an ISP. Their proprietary customised firmware and hardware is of no use to my needs. I have been a virgin costumer for several years now, and I have always used moden mode with a good quality third party router. Other than a few problems when it was first installed back in 2010, and a couple of serious faults over a 7 year period, I have found their service in my area to be solid. Speed checks are dependant on the traffic the particular server you choose has at the time of testing. For instance, the Virgin server in Brentford (about 10 miles from me) goes from full speed to just over 20Mb/s, when I see those low speeds I Change server to Call 27 (or any other server within 10 miles) and I get full speed. So, the speed is there all the time, is just that when under load, some servers (websites, youtube, iPlayer, ect..) will deliver data at a reduced speed, but that has nothing to do with virgin, it’s just the way the WWW works.

That’s not to say Virgin never fails, it does. But, so far, I have been very lucky and my service has been consistently good.

IMG_3949.PNG

0 Kudos