Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 39 (10,394 Views)

Virgin super hub 3 firmware

hi, I only joined virgin yesterday, had the VM SH3 installed and it's showing the firmware as 9.1.88T, is this the latest? Also for future ref is there a place where I can check if I have the latest firmware? Thanks in advance :-)

IF i have helped you, please give me kudos / mark me as helpful, thanks
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 2 of 39 (20,759 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by spikey673
‎02-09-2016 17:58

Re: Virgin super hub 3 firmware

9.1.88T is the current firmware. You cannot update or change the firmware yourself. When a later firmware is released the Hub 3.0 will download and install it from the TFTP server at the CMTS.

Every time the modem locks to the CMTS it will check for new firmware. 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 39 (20,760 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by spikey673
‎02-09-2016 17:58

9.1.88T is the current firmware. You cannot update or change the firmware yourself. When a later firmware is released the Hub 3.0 will download and install it from the TFTP server at the CMTS.

Every time the modem locks to the CMTS it will check for new firmware. 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 39 (10,374 Views)

Thanks for the reply, so the answer is new firmware gets pushed to the hub as and when virgin release new updates to certain areas? Apart from this a reboot of the hub checks for latest firmware when it locks onto the broadband signal from the cabinet.?

IF i have helped you, please give me kudos / mark me as helpful, thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 39 (10,340 Views)

spikey673 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, so the answer is new firmware gets pushed to the hub as and when virgin release new updates to certain areas? Apart from this a reboot of the hub checks for latest firmware when it locks onto the broadband signal from the cabinet.?

Yes and yes. The only other way to get later firmware than what is on general release is to join one of the firmware trials.

I'm on trial firmware 9.1.116V.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 39 (9,687 Views)

I have the SH3 with firmware 9.1.8TT which has a bug that causes the connection to drop every ~30minutes, it will reconnect after a minute or two, but anything in progress gets trashed during the disconnection. VM's solution was to send me a new SH3 but it's programmed with the same firmware (pointless). So I will wait for the firmware update and in the meantime have reverted to the old modem (which works perfectly).

I don't want to re-attach the SH3 until I know that problem is fixed because installing it took 6 hours to get it running and it took 5 hours to get the old one back online. Can you confirm whether the new firmware Beta has fixed that issue? Is there a revision history somewhere for the SH3 firmware?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 6 of 39 (9,683 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hamrag wrote:

I have the SH3 with firmware 9.1.8TT which has a bug that causes the connection to drop every ~30minutes, it will reconnect after a minute or two, but anything in progress gets trashed during the disconnection. VM's solution was to send me a new SH3 but it's programmed with the same firmware (pointless). So I will wait for the firmware update and in the meantime have reverted to the old modem (which works perfectly).

I don't want to re-attach the SH3 until I know that problem is fixed because installing it took 6 hours to get it running and it took 5 hours to get the old one back online. Can you confirm whether the new firmware Beta has fixed that issue?

Yes, 9.1.116V firmware has fixed the port-flapping issue (which occurs every 34 minutes (plus seconds) or 2048 seconds to be exact, excluding reboot time). The firmware should be in all areas by end of November.

Is there a revision history somewhere for the SH3 firmware?

No, not outside the trial forum. Though if you read my back posts or Sephiroth's back posts you will get bits and pieces of what the differences are.

Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 39 (9,666 Views)

MUD_Wizard wrote:

Hamrag wrote:

I don't want to re-attach the SH3 until I know that problem is fixed because installing it took 6 hours to get it running and it took 5 hours to get the old one back online. Can you confirm whether the new firmware Beta has fixed that issue?

Yes, 9.1.116V firmware has fixed the port-flapping issue (which occurs every 34 minutes (plus seconds) or 2048 seconds to be exact, excluding reboot time). The firmware should be in all areas by end of November.

Is there a revision history somewhere for the SH3 firmware?

No, not outside the trial forum. Though if you read my back posts or Sephiroth's back posts you will get bits and pieces of what the differences are.

I got defrocked for providing information as useful as a 9.1.116V fix list!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 39 (9,654 Views)

I can believe that actually. God forbid anyone posting anything useful and helpful, such people must be punished!

I suspect VM don't want the revision history in the public domain because the number and severity of the bugs would be an embarrassment. Having said that, it might also reveal security holes that customers have been exposed to (and are still vulnerable to), so keeping those types of bugs under wraps is probably not unreasonable.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 39 (9,650 Views)

Hamrag wrote:

I can believe that actually. God forbid anyone posting anything useful and helpful, such people must be punished!

I suspect VM don't want the revision history in the public domain because the number and severity of the bugs would be an embarrassment. Having said that, it might also reveal security holes that customers have been exposed to (and are still vulnerable to), so keeping those types of bugs under wraps is probably not unreasonable.

It's totally unreasonable.  If VM know full well that there is a vulnerability, it is their duty to fix it quickly.  Firmware versions come out very rarely and that would be inconsistent with the need for quick fxes due to vulnerabilities.   Everyone else, like Microsoft & Apple manage to get fixes out weekly or monthly - because it is correct practice.

I've been beating on for a couple of years about poor support practices at VM; secrecy about firmware fixes is one of the worst.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 10 of 39 (9,638 Views)

Hamrag wrote:

Which is why I'm not going to make a list for you, but if you look back at my previous posts and piece them together you will find all the information you require.

I suspect VM don't want the revision history in the public domain because the number and severity of the bugs would be an embarrassment.

Indeed, not to mention the length of time they've been around.

Having said that, it might also reveal security holes that customers have been exposed to (and are still vulnerable to), so keeping those types of bugs under wraps is probably not unreasonable.

No. Have to disagree here. All the bugs the people in the trial forum are aware of do not impact on security at all. VM do not talk about security issues full stop, on the trials or anywhere else.

VM have made several firmware revisions that were security related but did not say a thing about what was in them. However I was researching the security aspects of the hub since day 1, so have a fair idea, but I also can't tell you what I found. Smiley Happy

Generally speaking though nothing to be concerned about. The hub is now generally more secure than previous models (until the next new exploit is found).

0 Kudos