Menu
pageyboy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Router 2 a/c plus Router Advice

I have the above router and I was looking around the forum and I see plenty of people have put their Virgin routers into modem mode and bought an additional router to do all the work. Some want to increase/improve their wireless signal. Is there any advantages/disadvantages to getting another router for the wired devices. Some routers claim to improve ping and are better for gaming such as the Netduma model. Have any of you found that getting another router has done this and is it worth it all round. If it is what do you guys recommend?

Any advice welcome.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Router 2 a/c plus Router Advice

I use modem mode and always have done -- passing from SH1, SH2, SH2ac to Hub 3.

In modem mode, as you prolly know, NAT is turmed off and the SH2ac routes traffic through one Ethernet port. Thus the SH2ac only has to expend effort on directing traffic through the one port. So this on its own does little for ping but is good for wireless signal if your chosen router has external antennas.

The claims for the Netduma router are:

The Netduma R1 is a wireless router that contains cutting-edge software which will transform your online experience. The most popular features are:

1. Distance Filtering: dramatically reduce your game’s lag by only connecting to hosts or servers near your home

[SEPH]: Fair enough - provided that the servers are indeed near your home.  Bear this in mind because mainstream servers are not near your home.

2. Congestion Eliminated: everyone in your home can download & upload without causing each other to lag

[SEPH]: That's an easy claim to make.  You would need to delve into the further as use of bandwidth is use of bandwidth,  Uploading in particular on the DOCSIS system used by VM fragments data into permitted timeslots; so it is for the router to prioritise data that should not be delayed (subject then to the upstream usage in your VM segment); this, in turn, means that non-prioritised traffic will be delayed to whatever extent arises out of prioritised traffic.

3. Bandwidth allocation: prioritise your favourite devices, such as your console or PC

[SEPH]: Yes - and every decent router has this feature.

4. Simple installation: it works with all connection types, all ISPs and in all countries in the world

[SEPH]: Big deal.  So it's got a DSL port.

I can see from the spec that the Netduma device has a useful GUI that eases advanced router setup.  That will be appreciated by everybody.

So, no reason not to buy a Netduma router; it cannot perfprm any worse than any other decent router; any other decent router can be set up to do what the Netduma dies, though, albeit with more "advanced settings" effort.

Keep us posted on your journey.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos

All Replies
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I use modem mode and always have done -- passing from SH1, SH2, SH2ac to Hub 3.

In modem mode, as you prolly know, NAT is turmed off and the SH2ac routes traffic through one Ethernet port. Thus the SH2ac only has to expend effort on directing traffic through the one port. So this on its own does little for ping but is good for wireless signal if your chosen router has external antennas.

The claims for the Netduma router are:

The Netduma R1 is a wireless router that contains cutting-edge software which will transform your online experience. The most popular features are:

1. Distance Filtering: dramatically reduce your game’s lag by only connecting to hosts or servers near your home

[SEPH]: Fair enough - provided that the servers are indeed near your home.  Bear this in mind because mainstream servers are not near your home.

2. Congestion Eliminated: everyone in your home can download & upload without causing each other to lag

[SEPH]: That's an easy claim to make.  You would need to delve into the further as use of bandwidth is use of bandwidth,  Uploading in particular on the DOCSIS system used by VM fragments data into permitted timeslots; so it is for the router to prioritise data that should not be delayed (subject then to the upstream usage in your VM segment); this, in turn, means that non-prioritised traffic will be delayed to whatever extent arises out of prioritised traffic.

3. Bandwidth allocation: prioritise your favourite devices, such as your console or PC

[SEPH]: Yes - and every decent router has this feature.

4. Simple installation: it works with all connection types, all ISPs and in all countries in the world

[SEPH]: Big deal.  So it's got a DSL port.

I can see from the spec that the Netduma device has a useful GUI that eases advanced router setup.  That will be appreciated by everybody.

So, no reason not to buy a Netduma router; it cannot perfprm any worse than any other decent router; any other decent router can be set up to do what the Netduma dies, though, albeit with more "advanced settings" effort.

Keep us posted on your journey.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
pageyboy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Seph for your very detailed answer. I appreciate it.

I am still on the fence as to whether buying an additional router for the house is worth the expense as we don't have loads of devices connected at once and the wifi is sketchy in a small part of the house. Further research required on my part.
0 Kudos