Menu
Pembo1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Mobile & Wifi

Regrettably I took out a 2 year contract for a Virgin Mobile approx 4 months ago.

I also have a Virgin Media package, house phone, tivo, broadband, which as far as I am aware has been working ok.

However, I have had to pay £180 in data charges on my mobile because the phone didn't connect to wifi. According to Virgin Mobile this is my fault because I hadn't turned my data off. What I want to know is why should I have to? Previously I had a contract with Tesco Mobile for years and always used the wifi on my phone for data, I didn't have to turn it off, so why is it different for Virgin?

It seems to be a common problem as there are many users on the community having the same problem, the majority of them like me have Virgin Media and Virgin Mobile.

If this is common place, if Virgin Mobile and presumably Virgin Media are both aware that data needs to be turned off, why are customers not being informed that they need to do this? Why are we being charged twice for using broadband and why are phones on Virgin contracts not picking up wifi signals when other networks don't have a problem with it.

I now have a smartphone where I keep the data turned off all the time, I can't risk the bill. Even turned off my phone shows some data usage, fortunately within my limit but surely it shouldn't be using any.

I am posting on here, hoping for an answer because all I can get from Virgin Mobile is the same response, turn off the data. When I want a phone I can use fully. I want my money refunded and most of all I'd like to be let out of the contract as it isn't fit for purpose.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Mobile & Wifi

Virgin cant be held responsible because you haven't connected to your wifi, just make sure your on wifi, its usually a fan symbol on the top of your phone

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I haven't seen this kind of problem reported before. Any smartphone which has previously connected to a specific WiFI network should automatically connect to that network when in range, and use it instead of mobile data. The mobile network has no way to prevent your phone from automatically connecting to WiFi. 

Pembo1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Of course I connect to my wifi, I'm not an idiot. Also most the data was used when I first had the phone during the night when I was asleep. Tell me you always turn your data off I suppose, you want to try another network and then you wouldn't have to.
0 Kudos
Pembo1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

cje85 Quote; "I haven't seen this kind of problem reported before. Any smartphone which has previously connected to a specific WiFI network should automatically connect to that network when in range, and use it instead of mobile data. The mobile network has no way to prevent your phone from automatically connecting to WiFi."

Exactly any smartphone which has previously been connected to a specific WIFI network should connect automatically when in range, so why doesn't it and why does Virgin Mobile say it is my responsibilty to turn off the data and they're not just saying this to me. I don't see why you haven't seen this problem reported before as it is happening to plenty of us.

If the network has no way to prevent a phone connecting to the WIFI, why does this problem seem to only be affecting Virgin customers? Why are Virgin Mobile telling customers they should turn data off as if it is a given fact?

And are there any moderators willing to give their view?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Whilst the phone should connect to known networks providing the connect automatically to that network option has not been disabled, VM have no control over your wireless environment, or your device.

The wireless connection could have dropped due to a number reasons like wireless interference from many possible sources like a neighbouring wireless network or someone turning on a baby monitor for example. Power saving settings on your phone can turn the wireless adapter off as wireless is a heavy drain on the battery. Definetly worth checking the power saving features  on your phone.

I have recently seen a post similar to this where the mod advised the poster to turn mobile data off, BTW it was on the BT forum.

VM or no other ISP can guarentee a wireless connection to the many factors that adversley affect it, making it an unstable medium

Pembo1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the answer. However as far as I am aware my wifi connection is stable, although I will check the features you mention just in case.
Nothing explains why I had no problem with Tesco but I do with Virgin, today I have had 2 phones in my house and again the Virgin automatically goes to data, the Tesco goes to wifi, both were connected to the wifi.
0 Kudos