Menu
DemiDee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media asking long term customers to switch to wi-fi Hub, or else go without internet?

We are very long term customers of Virgin Media. Always been satisfied with the service and recommended many people at work and in social circles over the years. Not any more. In February, we received a letter stating that our trusty old Broadband kit will be replaced by the Hub 3.0. Last time we tried a new Powerhub, it was huge, ugly and - most importantly - the technicians couldn't get it to work with our reasonably new computer. Thankfully, we'd kept the little old piece of kit and even they understood why we insisted on going back to the old kit. It's worked perfectly ever since.

And now we're told that our kit will stop working altogether and that we MUST accept the changes or go without. So much for valuing the customer! I am not interested in 'modern' nor do I need higher speed for the work I do. However, I DO NOT WANT WI-FI in the house due to health risks for which there is much evidence from experts. So, it seems that Virgin Media only want people who want convenience and speed, and don't care of the cost to our health? In fact, they care so little that they'll force us to have wi-fi against our wishes, or simply kick us off the internet - something we've been paying Virgin for, for countless years. So much for all the feedback we've sent congratulating Virgin for not forcing us to have wi-fi. Clearly that was wasted time :-(

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
duster
Dialled in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Media asking long term customers to switch to wi-fi Hub, or else go without internet?

The Hub 3 is a much better router than older models. But it works in the same  way as older routers also. Like others have said. you can disable the Wi-Fi by going into the routers settings and turning it off,  You can just run from Ethernet cables if you wish.

vircom
Well-informed
Message 13 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Media asking long term customers to switch to wi-fi Hub, or else go without internet?

DemiDee just wanted to know why they needed a SHub 3 and does not appear to be trying to get anyone else to turn off their wifi, so I don't see why anyone should be criticising their decision not to use it. Likewise mobile phones. We are all free to make our own choices so long as it does not interfere with anyone else.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

then you turn off the wifi.

They are changing the way the network works and turning off Docsis 2. If have to upgrade it or your modem simply will not work.

If you do not want wifi then it off. If you want to keep your current network setup use the SH3 in modem mode.

Its not hard.
DemiDee
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the speedy reply. I haven't upgraded yet, and the letter didn't make it clear if one could turn off the wi-fi. If so, then this is good news. We just have to hope that it works this time.

0 Kudos
duster
Dialled in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Hub 3 is a much better router than older models. But it works in the same  way as older routers also. Like others have said. you can disable the Wi-Fi by going into the routers settings and turning it off,  You can just run from Ethernet cables if you wish.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

you sure can turn it off. And you can even turn off the routing and use it as a dumb modem if you want to keep using your current router.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

"DO NOT WANT WI-FI in the house due to health risks for which there is much evidence from experts."

Have you got a mobile phone, cordless telephone or a microwave oven? They all work on similar frequencies and in the case of the microwave, at much higher power levels.

In fact, cosmic background radiation is around 12cm (2.5GHz, same as wifi), so if you're that worried don't go out of the house.

The internet and Google have a lot to answer for when it comes to experts.

Dave.

DemiDee
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave, in answer to your question - no, I haven't got a microwave and definitely wouldn't have or recommend a cordless phone. I do have a mobile phone, but it's a Nokia with a low SAR rating, and it only gets used for texts. All calls are made via the (wired) landline.

I agree with you regards to the internet and Google having a lot to answer for, but I get my information from real experts in the field; the same kind of people that were warning the masses against asbestos and smoking before governments and other bodies would ever acknowledge something so profitable was harmful.

There are reasons why a good number people who have used mobile phones against their heads since their inception have been found to have tumours on the side of the head on which they use their phone. There's a reason why some people (not myself) suffer very real symptoms due to electro-sensitivity when close to such gadgets. There's a reason why countries such as Sweden recommend a much lower cut-off point for radiation than we do here. And, most importantly, there's a reason why nobody is going to tell you about the dangers. It's called profit and it's driven by consumers who put convenience over health. The desire for convenience has a lot to answer for.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Do you mean real experts like Cancer Research UK that state that mobile phones are unlikely to cause tumours?

Whilst the Swedish Hardnell group did suggest a link between mobile phones and some types of tumour but did not present any clear scientific evidence to support the claim. Interestinly enough tumour rates have not increased since the 1990s when mobile phones first came into use.

As HIVMBye says cosmic radiation is all around us, the earth will receive a signal power of -60dBm per m2 from a 3.5 Magnitude star, a decent signal for a wireless network. That is the scale of how low the power ouitput is from wireless networks.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

tin-baseball

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax wrote:

tin-baseball

Pfft! The "experts" have proved that wouldn't work.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/09/tin-foil-hats-actually-make-it-easier-for-the-gov...

0 Kudos