T advises to change password on router  How do I do this

CarboB1906 wrote:

How do I change my password on Super Hub 2

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 72 of 244 (624 Views)

SuperHub2 to SuperHub3 and Security matters

I use fairly strong passwords particularly on my SuperHub2.  However on their web site and on the SuperHub Virgin don't allow the use of characters such as % ~ : etc (Shame on you Virgin a major communications company).  In fact on the web site the last time I used it I was restricted to 8 characters.  I use a password generaly 12 characters long with as much variation as I can upper, lower case, numbers and other characters.  The SuperHub 2 doesn't allow me this range. Also on the SuperHub which is router I cannot enter any rules that you normally can on routers such as to block things or allow things.  So it is very poor router from a security point of view.  Maybe the SuperHub 3 is better apparently you can ask for one.  I will see whether I can ask for one but communication with Virgin is not great via the phone and there isn't an Email address I can send such a request too.  I love the good bandwidth's of Virgin but I do think there are areas where theyt could improve. 

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 73 of 244 (612 Views)

SuperHub Replacements with recent security news

[ Edited ]

I noticed in the articles however there was a statement for Virgin Media saying how they are pro-actively offering upgraded SuperHubs to users running older hardware. The flaw seems to be stated as affecting the SuperHub 2 and prior. The only informational page I've been able to find from Virgin Media is one from earlier in this year offering upgrades to customers with pre-SuperHub devices [1]. That offer expired in April this year. 

Is the statement referring to the older program aforementioned or will Virgin Media be offering upgrades to SuperHub 2 users to SuperHub 3?

Statement in question

"We regularly support our customers through advice and updates and offer them the chance to upgrade to a Hub 3.0 which contains additional security provisions."

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 74 of 244 (611 Views)

Re: SUPERHUB 2 HACKING WARNING

When entering the web address on the super hub to change the password, it states that it is not a secure connection and not to enter any passwords etc.

What is the point of having an unsecure connection to change a password?

Superuser
Message 75 of 244 (610 Views)

Re: Virgin Media WiFi Security

sjw211 wrote:

Is this article related?

"Virgin Media has now deployed a firmware patch that addresses this shortcoming and assured customers they are no longer at risk."

If so, when was the new firmware update deployed - I don't see one.  Is it the 'Software version'?  Mine is V1.01.14.

No that's a different issue.  I'm assuming you have the Superhub 2, if so then that is the latest firmware issue.

It should be noted that to employ that hack hackers would have needed access to your wifi passphrase and your superhub login anyway, as it relied on them being able to upload a doctored configuration file to your hub.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Tuning in
Message 76 of 244 (606 Views)

Re: Thousands of customers ‘at risk’ following Virgin Media hack - Super Hub 2

Hi. You guys should know that scammers have jumped on this news to try their luck by feeding on customer's fears about possible Hub hacks.

My landlord is a VM TV + phone customer (no broadband) and received a call this morning. Since I was in the house at the time, he passed the call onto me since I do have broadband with you. The scammers are trying to obtain access to PCs by getting customers to tell them the CLSID (Win+R > Run 'cmd' > 'assoc').  I wasted 15 mins of the scammers time to get this far, then ended the call, so I don't what other steps they take after that.

As an extra twist, at the beginning of the call (presumably to make himself sound more legitimate) he 'booked' an engineer visit for me for tomorrow morning to replace my Hub - those VM engineers are going to have a busy weekend!

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 77 of 244 (607 Views)

So where is the security warning?

Today's BBC news has it that Virgin Media is urging a certain portion of it's broadband customers to change their password after a Which investigation which apparently brought to light a security issue. 

So where is the 'Customer News' about this?  I can't even find the Home page button on the website.

I want confirmation that I don't need to change my password and guidance as to how to change it anyway and it's shocking that something that made the national news is difficult to find on Virgin's own website.

Superuser
Message 78 of 244 (597 Views)

[ Edited ]

Some great posts by you there @cybmole, don't feel like you shouldn't post about it anymore, because you should. You're helping people see this hit piece for what it is, it's all smoke n mirrors with scaremongering amped plus real facts dumbed down to the point of obscurity, to max out the viewership (profit.)

Which? who made the piece originally are complete trash. The same people who frequently publish "nation wide survey" results of opinions about ISPS, mobile providers etc when they only polled a couple of hundred people to a couple thousand.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
On our wavelength
Message 79 of 244 (584 Views)

Re: SUPERHUB 2 HACKING WARNING

[ Edited ]

tatty wrote:

When entering the web address on the super hub to change the password, it states that it is not a secure connection and not to enter any passwords etc.

What is the point of having an unsecure connection to change a password?

Is that message coming from your browser? If so it will be due to it not being an https (SSL) connection. As the SuperHub is on your internal network the risk of not using a SSL connection is negligible (although not totally mitigated). The warning message is just a standard message a lot of browsers have implemented.

Tuning in
Message 80 of 244 (569 Views)

I find Virgin Media less than able to communicate with its customers.  The media is saying 'Virgin Media has told it's customers to change passwords'.  Well, I'm a customer and I haven't been told.  They have my phone number email address and home address as well as my mobile number. they know I use a superhub 2ac as they proviided it! I've had no communication at all. I would have thought they would have contacted us before telling the media that they have. Any one know what is going on? Thanks.