Menu
Superuser
Message 50 of 247 (971 Views)

Re: Thousands of customers ‘at risk’ following Virgin Media hack - Super Hub 2

Nice render, even if someone could afford that equipment to go into a truck, it wouldn't have the power supply to run in the back of it and parking the thing in a residential area would block up 5 to 9 homes (spotted pretty quickly.) It would also be very noisy like someone doing road digging with drills non-stop.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 51 of 247 (953 Views)

Re: How do you change the password when you dont have an Ethernet Cable

How do you do that then. I am not computer literate and I am confused. 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 52 of 247 (1,001 Views)

Router password

How can i change my router password if ive no pc. Ive got ethernet cable but when my laptoptop packed up....i replaced with a tablet...so nowhere to plug cable into.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 53 of 247 (948 Views)

Re: How do you change the password when you dont have an Ethernet Cable

It's done exactly the same way - except you do it from an existing wireless device, and not one connected via an Ethernet cable
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Superuser
Message 54 of 247 (980 Views)

Re: Router password

you can change it over the wireless. Just visit http://192.168.0.1
Superuser
Message 55 of 247 (980 Views)

[ Edited ]

You can change the details over wireless, but the instructions recommend a wired connection as once you change the wireless password you'll be lose connection to the wireless network.

Wired devices don't lose connection, so it's then easier to resolve any wireless password issues.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 56 of 247 (980 Views)

you can do it over wifi, just remember when you change the wifi password you will need to change it on your tablet before you can get internet access again.

follow the instructions on this page, https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030... just choose which router you have and instructions will show.

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 57 of 247 (1,005 Views)

Re: Virgin Media urges password change over hacking risk

[ Edited ]

panic over Auntie, I've changed mine to CHANGEME123 Smiley Very Happy

*BBC footnote: other well known passwords are available

Superuser
Message 59 of 247 (996 Views)

Re: Virgin Media urges password change over hacking risk

Virginmedia are not urging password changes. The media has blown nothing into something as always.

Its already been proven that you need a hacked device on the local network to get the router hacked. if you have done that you have already had the network hacked and the SH is not going to stop anything with or without the defaut password.

Superuser
Message 60 of 247 (996 Views)

Re: Virgin Media WiFi Security

again i have to ask why? recommending this is fueling the media crap. The only way the default password can be used is if someone is on the network already. if this is the case as the media has said due to something like IoT being hacked on the network you are already hacked and access to the network is already established.

Change default passwords on everything. Remove anything with Cheap Chinese firmware. make sure no one can get access to any of the network cables for the LAN for example if they run outside.

Changing the default password on yout SH will not help you in what the media is saying. If they can access the SH with that password they are already on the network.

Its like saying hide your house keys from people already in the house. that is not going to stop them they are already in the house the keys are pointless.