Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 40 of 259
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do you change the password when you dont have an Ethernet Cable

You can change it over Wireless itself, but the reason an Ethernet cable is recommended is that once the password is changed, all existing wireless connections are disconnected.

So if for any reason you've mis-typed the password, you wouldn't be able to reconnect your wireless device - until you reset your Hub back to the defaults.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
shauneeb
Fibre optic
Message 41 of 259
Flag for a moderator

Re: Password change

Happy to help & glad you got it sorted Smiley Happy

Some people try logging into the hub by entering the wifi passphrase, some try entering the hubs password as the wifi passphrase Smiley Frustrated

Just a case of making the passwords at least 12 characters long using numbers, symbols & letters like : TrY*&Gu3s5_Th1s%**tH3N!! for example, the longer the better, the more variation the better, chances of someone successfully hacking your wifi is very small as most range barely get's down the garden let alone out into the street so I'd ignore the media tabloid hype that's going around.

You can also enable MAC filtering for extra security as well to tell the hub to ignore any incoming connection attempts by wireless devices that are not in the allow list, simple way to do this is make sure every device you use wireless is connected up to the hub 1st, then 1 at a time click the bullet point next to the device you wish to add this will input the devices data below automatically then click "add device" do this for each device until you're done, it should be in the hubs advanced settings under wireless, primary network etc, click save changes, then close the window, done. You don't have to, just an option if you are a bit paranoid about it, again you can always default it back using the pinhole reset if ever you forget the PW's Smiley Happy

You got a great name too Smiley Wink I get annoyed when people spell my name "Sean" Smiley LOL Starbucks is the worst for that.

All the best Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
stawes
Tuning in
Message 42 of 259
Flag for a moderator

How do you do it via Wireless then. For many reasons getting an Ethernet Cable is too complicated. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 43 of 259
Flag for a moderator

Details are here for Virgin Media's Hubs https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 44 of 259
Flag for a moderator

Re: SUPERHUB 2 HACKING WARNING

the BBC news is scare mongering plain and simple. Leave them as default and the chances of being hacked for still tiny. Its been blown out of proportion
Superuser
Superuser
Message 45 of 259
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thousands of customers ‘at risk’ following Virgin Media hack - Super Hub 2

the hack of your PC and credit card is not from superhub.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 46 of 259
Flag for a moderator

Re: SUPERHUB 2 HACKING WARNING

Hi everyone.

First off I read the BBC News Story and then decided to look for the which? articles that prompted it.

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/06/virgin-urges-super-hub-2-password-change/#?intcmp=HP.hero.small....
http://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/06/could-your-smart-home-be-hacked/

So lets look at the reality.

1. Which? employed a dedicated company to hack the network in question.
2. It took them days to crack the default wifi passphrase
3. Most hackers are opportunists who won't take that much time and effort on a home connection.
4. Virgin set the default hub login password as changeme (change me) in addition when users log into the hub they are normally told to change this as well via a nag screen.

Virgin actually ran a story in the news section yesterday.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/News/Make-your-network-extra-safe/ba-p/3456004

Which includes advice on how to change passwords on older routers.  

It should be noted that when the SH2ac came out Virgin introduced a requirement that if the password was the default, that users were required to enter the WPS Pin which was unique to each hub.  So hackers couldn't breach the hub itself even of they gained access to the wifi network.

I do consider the headlines to be scaremongering, which is why I did my homework before posting.

Also note that 800,000 is the estimated number of SH2's on the network.  Out of those:

• Some users will automatically change the default SSID and passphrase as soon as they get the device.  
  • Others can and do put the hub into modem mode and use their own router.

So while the general message is going out, the number of those at risk is lower than the quoted figure.

@apcyberax - We haven't been able to change DNS on the hubs since the SH1 firmware

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

stawes
Tuning in
Message 47 of 259
Flag for a moderator

That only mentions an Ethernet cable. How do you do it wirelessly or Do I still need an Ethernet cable. If I do where do I get it. 

0 Kudos
ZiltoidRacer
Dialled in
Message 48 of 259
Flag for a moderator

Re: password

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030... when the page loads click on the router you have and details of how to change passwords shows.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 49 of 259
Flag for a moderator

do it the same way but connect to the wireless not over ethernet.
0 Kudos