Menu
Fibre optic
Message 30 of 244 (1,467 Views)

Re: Password change

[ Edited ]

if you want to change your superhub password, type in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and hit enter & enter the hub password that's located on the hub itself,usually on the back or underneath on the card etc, make sure you don't try using the wifi passphrase to log into the hub either, once logged in you can change the password log in on the hub so anytime you wish to log into the hub you will have to enter that new password before you can make any changes to its setting etc, you can also change the wifi password too but make sure if you do change the passwords to keep a note of them written down, keep it under or by the hub, or locked away etc, any devices connected to the hub wifi will get disconnected until you enter the new wifi password. If you forget the passwords or lose the paper etc you can reset them back to default on whats on the hub by pressing in the pin hole reset button on the hub, this will default the hub to its original settings & passwords.

Edit: Forgot to say "Welcome to the forums" Smiley Wink

Community elder
Message 31 of 244 (2,159 Views)

Re: SUPERHUB 2 HACKING WARNING

"..risk isn't the wifi when routers are hacked its changing the DNS..."

that would be plausible, except that virgin LOCK the DNS settings, in their hub firmware, so neither you, nor a hacker can change them.

many of us have complained about that in the past but in this case it's arguably a security benefit

Joining in
Message 32 of 244 (2,128 Views)

So how do I change the password please? Save me trawling through help topics. Thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 33 of 244 (1,472 Views)

Re: Thousands of customers ‘at risk’ following Virgin Media hack - Super Hub 2

My PC has been hacked into twice in the last 8 weeks, and my credit card details stolen via this way twice.  I reported this to ActionFraud.  As I have a full complement of security software which run daily checks, (Kaspersky Internet Security and Malwarebytes) I suspected it might have been via the Superhub 2 and changed most of the settings immediately (but changed the security mode to WPA2-PSK [AES]  from but haven't generated a new WPS pin. Is this necessary?)     Incidentally my password  was not the original one, although the passphrase was.  I also changed some of the advanced settings, despite being advised by the installer not to do this (what choice did I have if I cannot get appropriate help?), and changed the firewall protection from "low" to "high".  Having not looked at this before, because I was advised not to, I had no idea the firewall was on "low"!  

I have been *totally* unable to get through to the right department on the phone or online chat, having been trying for many hours over the last few weeks. despite the urgency of my request.    In the light of today's report my suspicions have been confirmed but it's still impossible to get hold of anyone for advice.    On the BBC website about this article, Virgin media are quoted ""We regularly support our customers through advice and updates and offer them the chance to upgrade to a Hub 3.0 which contains additional security provisions."".  I have not been contacted or supported in any way!   I would however like an upgrade to Hub 3 if this indeed does afford some extra security.  Would someone from Virgin media please get in touch with me to discuss this?  

Please note that, the link "Resetting your Virgin Media Hub" does not work.  This is hardly helpful at a point when surely many people are going to need it!   

Thanks

Joining in
Message 34 of 244 (1,385 Views)

Hub password

Hi, I'm trying to reset my Hub password and it says its the incorrect one. I'm not using the wifi password, I'm using the one on the sticker on the bottom of the hub.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 35 of 244 (2,088 Views)

@cybmole i though the DNS could still be changed in the SH2. i though the SH3 had it removed or has that changed now?

But also i i could get access to a single device on the network from one of the IoT alot of them have DHCP server built in such as CCTV, DVR and NAS devices. so i could still mess with DNS on a network if i could get into anything else. Doesn't need to be the router. the router could be the most secure device in the world with ZERO chance of access. I could still take the network.

I'm not saying this to scare people more but the new is wrong. If they are going to point out problems they need to point them all out and with the correct into.

Here is a bigger threat. Do you run network cables on the outside of the house to other rooms. If so would you know if i cut one and crimped in a RJ45 and put a raspberry pi on a USB battery? I've not got your network. Add a 3g modem to access the Pi and i can ssh in even VNC. on the network. Run a DHCP server that will react faster than the SH and give out what i like. 

0 Kudos
Just joined
Message 36 of 244 (1,446 Views)

Re: Password change

Hello shauneeb, firstly thank you for replying to my question so quickly and explaining the process for changing my password. I'm glad to say that with your brilliant guide I have now changed the password and it only took a couple of minutes. So a huge huge thank you for that and also for welcoming me to the forum, you have helped me feel more secure regarding the hub. 

PS..You have a great name there old boy Smiley Wink

Joining in
Message 37 of 244 (1,456 Views)

How do I change my password on SH2

[ Edited ]

How do I change my password on Super Hub 2

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 38 of 244 (1,419 Views)

How do you change the password when you dont have an Ethernet Cable

Hi.

I dont have an Ethernet cable and dont know where to get one. Is they any other way of changing the password then. 

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 39 of 244 (2,019 Views)

As a VM customer, I expect to be given some clear and sensible information rather than the BBC's scaremongering.....

Advice was to change the Super Hub Access Password which I've already done.  That is obviously not the same thing as the 'Passphrase or Security Key', but if I attempt to change that, will I need to log back onto the network with the new key?  Plus all non-WPS enabled devices?

Is the risk of messing up my little network of 2 laptops, a Panasonic TV, wireless printer, Philips Streamium Internet radio and a HD TV receiver greater than the risk of some spotty little geek trying to 'hack' my SH2?

0 Kudos