Menu
Superuser
Message 91 of 244 (524 Views)

Re: changing super hub password

The issue is that the SH2 default password is made up of 8 lower case letters with only some 208 thousand million combinations, so it can be brute forced quicker than passwords containing a mixture of uppercase and lowercase letters and digits. (218 billion combinations If I got my calcs right)).and longer passwords.

Using longer passwords exponentiallt increase the number of permutations.

Please do not change the default password to another 8 letter string using only lower case letters as you will achieve nothing.

If your anti virus is reporting the 192.168.x.x range as insecure then you need to add your local network to the trusted networks list of your anti virus, as it looks like it will report all LANs as insecure until you add it to your trusted networks.

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 92 of 244 (638 Views)

Re: SUPERHUB 2 HACKING WARNING

nospammer wrote:
I raised this point with virgin help desk staff and they continue to tell users its perfectly fine to use the 192 web address to change password even though its insecure....Maybe this needs a bit of media attention for them to take some action like buy a security certificate for the 192 site.

As Shelke said, it's not a connection to the internet.

If your that paranoid unplug the coax from it while you change it.

Dave.

On our wavelength
Message 93 of 244 (585 Views)

Does the SH1 password need changing as well, as the SH2 has been hacked?

[ Edited ]

In view of today's announcement regarding the poor security of the SH2 and its hacking vulnerability, should I be changing the password on my SH1?

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 94 of 244 (564 Views)

Re: Upgrade Superhub 2ac to Hub3?

[ Edited ]
I thought it was just the sh2 affected not the ac version?
0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 95 of 244 (578 Views)

Re: Does the SH1 password need changing as well, as the SH2 has been hacked?

On our wavelength
Message 96 of 244 (579 Views)

Re: Virgin Media WiFi Security

I heard on the radio about this issue and set about changing my passwords. It was a drag having to change all the connected wifi devices to a new, long, complicated password; but it was finally done.

I had already changed my default Superhub 2c password but I thought I would do it again in line with the instructions in the latest Virgin Media advice. It said that I should change wifi and hub passwords to over 12 characters with letters, numbers and symbols. Sadly, my hub password will only accept letters and numbers, upper and lower case, and no more than 14.

Virgin Media should have contacted customers with the need to change passwords; and its advice should have been consistent and correct. Are there any more default settings that need changing, other than these passwords?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 97 of 244 (558 Views)

Re: Virgin Media WiFi Security

ahrbee wrote:

I had already changed my default Superhub 2c password but I thought I would do it again in line with the instructions in the latest Virgin Media advice. It said that I should change wifi and hub passwords to over 12 characters with letters, numbers and symbols. Sadly, my hub password will only accept letters and numbers, upper and lower case, and no more than 14.

Where did you see the advice about symbols? All the information from Virgin Media I've seen says:

"When choosing your new passphrase we recommend at least twelve characters with a mix of upper case, lower case and numbers. It should be unique: not something you use for anything else"

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 98 of 244 (380 Views)

Changing hub password

I have changed the superhub password after seeing press reports. The desk top is working fine, mobile phone working fine. Problem is I cannot connect my laptop, I have tried connecting via the signal icon in the bottom right corner, but it will not allow me to enter the password, when I click on connect it says cannot connect

Alessandro Volta
Message 99 of 244 (367 Views)

Re: Changing hub password

You need to tell your laptop to forget the network then try connecting again
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 100 of 244 (536 Views)

Re: SUPERHUB 2 HACKING WARNING

[ Edited ]

nospammer wrote:
I raised this point with virgin help desk staff and they continue to tell users its perfectly fine to use the 192 web address to change password even though its insecure....Maybe this needs a bit of media attention for them to take some action like buy a security certificate for the 192 site.

No-one can get a security certificate issued for the 192 range - it is specifically not allowed by the certificate authorities.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos