Menu
Highlighted
nigeyb
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Hubs in Virgin customers’ homes to add network of hotspots

Just received this email from Virgin Media...

We need to give you a quick update on what’s been happening with our plan to expand our WiFi network.

As part of our commitment to deliver WiFi to customers, we’re adding the Virgin Media Hubs in our customers’ homes to our network of hotspots – including the Hub in your home. So each customer’s Hub will become a WiFi hotspot for other Virgin Media customers. As a Virgin Media customer, you can access all our hotspots for free using your Virgin Media WiFi app.
Adding the Hub in your home to our WiFi network won’t affect the internet connection you pay for

To add it to our network, we’ll switch on a separate connection to the Hub in your home. This means the broadband you pay for will stay exclusively yours – and remain just as secure.
Don’t want the Hub you use to join our WiFi network?

To opt out, simply let us know by registering or signing in to your account at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia and clicking My Profile.

To find out more about Virgin Media WiFi just head to virginmedia.com/virginmediawifi

Kind regards,
The Virgin Media team

Should I agree? What are the pros and cons? Are there any risks?

I do not have a mobile phone with Virgin and have never used Virgin Hotspots

I live in a quiet residential road 

Thanks for your thoughts 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Media Hubs in Virgin customers’ homes to add network of hotspots

The only negative is that if you use 2.4GHz WiFi then there is potential contention with public WiFi. VM say that your circuit will have priority over public WiFi traffic which may well be the case but nobody has yet reportd as having been tested. Public WiFi is rate limited to 20 meg iirc.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

All Replies
gilgongo
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I've got wi-fi turned off on my hub (SH2c) because I'm using a separate wi-fi hotspot for the house. Will this change affect me?

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The only negative is that if you use 2.4GHz WiFi then there is potential contention with public WiFi. VM say that your circuit will have priority over public WiFi traffic which may well be the case but nobody has yet reportd as having been tested. Public WiFi is rate limited to 20 meg iirc.

nigeyb
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Seph - that's both interesting and helpful

And presumably the only reason to go along with the suggestion is to help passers by who want access to a hotspot in my neighbourhood. In short, to be a good egg.

Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing else in it for the customer who agrees to the proposal

Andruser
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

"Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing else in it for the customer who agrees to the proposal"

That's correct.  Virginmedia don't officially read these forums other than for moderation, and few poor overworked tech support guys and gals.  Which is a pity, because I'd like them to know that I've turned off my hub's public wifi, and it'll stay that way until the corporate wasters at VM head office give me a cable modem that works properly for gaming, VOIP, VC, VPN, and has a reliable wifi router.  So on the company's current progress, passers by in my street may get VM public wifi sometime around the year 2050.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

"Virginmedia don't officially read these forums" wrong again. VM reply to all posts here that need them but can take 3-5 days normally.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Only that the hosting customer benefits from reciprocal service when out and about.

Me, amin modem mode, did not opt out, thus have the reciprocal benefit but no public service from my Hub 3.

0 Kudos
stew56
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I got the same email and I want to opt out but I can't see anything in my profile to let me?

mikeiow
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Same here.  They say 

To opt out, simply let us know by registering or signing in to your account at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia and clicking My Profile.

.....but there is no opt out button anywhere I can see.

hopeless communication, imho.

0 Kudos
M_H_M
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

My Account then My Profile from within that dropdown menu. Just done it!

0 Kudos