Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15 (12,555 Views)

Very, very slow connection

I have had slow connection speeds, including loosing internet connection. Have tried all the usual switching the hub off, several times but still the same.

I did a several speed tests & was getting around 0.17mbps to .024mbps down load speeds, considering Im on 100mb fiber optic I think this is very slow.

Rang Virgin, they said there is some interference in the area & did a few adjustments.

Re-checked download speeds which were better but still only 3.74mbps to 4.10mbps.

Any ideas on what to try next?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Message 5 of 15 (24,931 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Caveman_64
‎03-05-2016 18:25

Re: Very, very slow connection

Hi Caveman_64,

I'm sorry to hear that speeds have dropped again. Looking at the connection it does appear there is currently an issue on the local network segment.

Our engineers are currently planning to undertake some broadband upgrades to support an increased demand for our services in your area. Once this work is completed, you'll find that your broadband speeds (especially during peak times) return to normal. The reference for the ongoing work is F003313373 and the current review date is 22nd June 2016.

I'll send you a PM with a bit more info about this issue, including details on claiming a credit for the loss of service. We'll keep you posted regarding further developments as and when we know more.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos

All Replies
Message 2 of 15 (12,523 Views)

Hi Caveman_64,

Thanks for posting and apologies for the recent connection problems, we''re currently investigating a noise ingress fault (SNR) in the area that I suspect is the source of the current issues you're experiencing.

The reference from networks is F004387769, if you bump us back here periodically we'll keep you informed with any news.

Kind Rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15 (12,499 Views)

Hi, 

I have been monitoring my internet speed over the last week & have had speeds upto 88mb, but I have just checked it again tonight & its back to 8.4mb,

Why if I am paying for 100mb am I only getting slow speeds.

I cant pay less when i get a poor service, so if Im paying full price for 100mb why am I not getting it, why are my speeds being reduced.

Chris

Joining in
Message 4 of 15 (12,492 Views)

Hi there!
I am in the exact situation - for the past 2 weeks my internet has been horrendous! On 100mb fibre optic I should not have to wait for adult to buffer on YouTube... 😑 Sigh
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15 (24,932 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Caveman_64
‎03-05-2016 18:25

Hi Caveman_64,

I'm sorry to hear that speeds have dropped again. Looking at the connection it does appear there is currently an issue on the local network segment.

Our engineers are currently planning to undertake some broadband upgrades to support an increased demand for our services in your area. Once this work is completed, you'll find that your broadband speeds (especially during peak times) return to normal. The reference for the ongoing work is F003313373 and the current review date is 22nd June 2016.

I'll send you a PM with a bit more info about this issue, including details on claiming a credit for the loss of service. We'll keep you posted regarding further developments as and when we know more.

Kev

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15 (12,083 Views)

I have been going round and round in circles on the Virgin site trying to find out why my broadband speeds are so poor. I, like others are paying a top rate yet am spending what feels like forever looking at a buffering symbol  or experiencing constant drop outs. I have what is supposed to be a super fast new hub and have had continued problems ever since it was installed. I am fed up with being told to turn it off and wait or to reset it.  Help please Virgin and forum. 

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15 (11,475 Views)

I have the same problem too but I pay for 200 Mbps - what a mug. Soon they will offer 400mbps I expect but with no plans to actually provide the advertised speed. Virgin media pretty much do what they like, oversell their speeds on the basis that someone somewhere might get close if they get up at 3 am and are the only person in the village....

but for most of us we get nowhere near and when we raise it they just say they are working on the network or there is interference. Regardless of whether this is actually true ( which I doubt in many cases) they continue to sell to us mugs speeds they have no way of delivering..

if if only the regulators did their job properly perhaps they would actually invest more of their massive profits in actually delivering the service we are paying for 

Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 15 (11,411 Views)

Hi RSCS,

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear about your issues with your slow connection speeds. I can appreciate frustration may be caused, so apologies for any bother.

I have tested your connection from here and believe the cause of your problems to be that your only locked onto one upstream, with the power level for that upstream being too high. There is also a lot of time outs inside the Hub's logs.

An engineer will be required to attend to carry out some further investigations in order to get this resolved efficiently for you.

I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what is required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I will ensure this all gets booked and secured for you.

Speak soon,

Thanks,

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 15 (11,231 Views)

Also struggling with similar issues on 100Mb plan. Just after vivid was announced our service degraded signifcantly with d/load speeds less than 10 Mb/s a common occurrence in the evenings. I understand contention sometimes means speed will be lower, but not to 10% of billed speed.  We spoke to VM earlier in the year and they said engineers were working in the area and should have issue resolved in April - but still no improvement. Last night it seemed that the "run test" option on MyVirginMedia has also disappeared. 

Seriously disillusioned. Wondering whether need to swap back to BT ...

Caveman_64 wrote:

I have had slow connection speeds, including loosing internet connection. Have tried all the usual switching the hub off, several times but still the same.

I did a several speed tests & was getting around 0.17mbps to .024mbps down load speeds, considering Im on 100mb fiber optic I think this is very slow.

Rang Virgin, they said there is some interference in the area & did a few adjustments.

Re-checked download speeds which were better but still only 3.74mbps to 4.10mbps.

Any ideas on what to try next?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 10 of 15 (11,165 Views)

Hi alanmore01

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Many apologies that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds. I know how frustrating this can be.

When I checked your connection, I can see the high peak time traffic fault in your area that you mentioned which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003883625 and with a review date of 10th August.

Have you completed a speed test during the daytime to see what speeds you achieve?

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos