Menu
WabiSabi
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Very very inconsistent wifi speed

For the past 2 or 3 months now, my wifi has been really unreliable and frustrating.

I've lost count of the number of times I have turned my router off and on again, sometimes that works, but even if it does, it never lasts. Not long until my download speed has dropped to 1MB/s or even lower. I've had enough of it now, and am desperately looking for some sort of help.

I don't have the login details for my hub settings so I can't change wifi channel, before you suggest that.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very very inconsistent wifi speed

hiya @WabiSabi welcome to the virginmedia community forum, if you've forgot them you can reset the hub to defaults using the pin hole reset -> http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=27643&CURRENT_... since when you do a check for wifi connections how many is it showing?
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
WabiSabi
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reset button option, never knew about that.

And if you mean, how many different wifi connections are showing that I can connect to... There's around 15, including mine.

0 Kudos
WabiSabi
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This is a joke now. Literally taking like 5-10 mins just to load up my nowtv. 

And don't get me started on trying to actually watch something on there. Buffers every 2 seconds.

I'll have to ring you guys up because this is **bleep** awful and I've had enough now.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Try it with a wired connection and see what you get. That's the only way you can tell if it's a wireless problem or something else.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

rather good advise from HiVMBye, also did you manage to reset the hub and try different wifi channels?
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Evening WabiSabi,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to read that you are experiencing slow wireless speeds.

I've taken a look at your connection and there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F004742956 and with a review date of 7th December.

I can see that you have been given good advice above, did you manage to try speed tests through a wired connection at all? If so what was the result? If you can try at different times of the day to see if there is a difference, that will be helpful.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos