Menu
stewrat83
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Very poor quality on VOIP via Lync, Skype for Business etc

As i spend more time joining conf calls via Lync, Skype for Business, other proprietary or standards based (WebRTC) platforms, I'm told my audio contribution is very poor.

So bad, my manager is getting really angsty about it.

I have a 1-yr old laptop

I have added powerlink adaptors so I am cabled, not wifi

I have a jabra usb headset so i'm not using laptop audio

But still it is poor - and across multiple platforms.

Are there router configurations or something else that can be done to improve this?

If not, having tried all other variables, VM will; be the next candidate to change Smiley Sad

Thanks

Stewart

0 Kudos
legacy1
Legend
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very poor quality on VOIP via Lync, Skype for Business etc

Try the super hub in modem mode with your laptop wired to the modem mode port.
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

stewrat83
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestion but hub is 2 rooms away so no practical way to cable.

And that link didnt make clear if/what you lose by moving to that mode?

I wa shoping there was a config tweak that would improve this.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi stewrat83, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your wireless connection. 

I have taken a look and the network segment and general connection looks ok from this side. 

What you lose in modem only mode is the wireless connection. We cannot guarantee a wireless connection as too many things can affect it. It may help to take a look at Getting the best WiFi Signal

What legacy1 is trying to see is if the connection works ok by wired then we can safely assume it is a wireless issue and go from there. However if you have the same issue with a wired connection then there may be other factors in play, like a fault hub or a network issue. The network looks pretty clear currently so I wouldn't think it would be that currently. So without testing the hub wired we can only guess at a possible wireless issue. 

I hope that all makes more sense Smiley Happy

Keep us posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
teejayharris
Just joined
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this response is nothing more than a fob off. Gogle is full of results and Virgin's own community pages equally as full of complaints that Skype for Business doesn't work on Virgin Media. I have 200mbps service and can't make a reliable SfB call that lasts 5 minutes. I previously had 40mbps Sky fibre and it worked fine. I previously had 17mbps BT copper and it worked fine. The issue is that the Virgin network either isn't configured to enable any form of QoS or that it is configured wrong. Or sceptically, it is configured so that it doesn't work to force home workers to upgrade to the Home Worker package, at which point magically the network config is fixed and it works?

0 Kudos