Menu
fmaciver
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Very High Ping/Latency and Low Download Speeds (VIVID Gaming 200 Optical Fibre)

Hi there,

I recently upgraded to the VIVID Gaming 200 Optical Fibre package and received a new Virgin Homehub 3.0 a month afterwards. Since then I have been getting very high ping and very low download speeds. The ping can be stable and then suddenly increase to 200ms +. In addition to this, I am getting a download speed of 10Mbps, when it should be 200Mbps. Upload speed is at about 20Mbps which perhaps seems right, I am not sure.

My boyfriend and I play video games together which is why I upgraded. Before upgrading to VIVID Gaming 200 Optical Fibre, we were able to game together without many problems, perhaps the occasional minor ping issues, which is why I decided to upgrade to the gaming package to see if that would help. However, it has just made it impossible to play anything. I am connected by ethernet and he is connected via wi-fi.

We had an engineer around 2 weeks ago and all he did was change the wiring in our flat which made the internet even worse than after the upgrade! We cannot use our internet for gaming now, which is why we upgraded.

In addition to this, turning off/resetting the router causes the internet to disconnect every 8-12 minutes as it receives constant T4 Timeouts, TCS Partial Service and DBC-ACK not received. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

I've been a customer of Virgin Media for several years now, and would really like this sorted as I am not enjoying paying £45 a month for internet that is not usable for what it was bought and advertised for. I've been on the phone twice and had an engineer round to try and fix, but I feel that writing everything down would help a lot.

Please help!

Thank you

Finlay

TL;DR - High ping, low downloads since upgrading to VIVID Gaming 200 Optical Fibre. Was fine before upgrade. Got worse after engineer came out to fix. Thank you!

0 Kudos
AlredyVCabledUp
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very High Ping/Latency and Low Download Speeds (VIVID Gaming 200 Optical Fibre)

This could be one way forward - extreme - but you may find it useful http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Cant-believe-how-down-hill-virgin-has-gone/m-p/3483705#M16... see the section about CISCAS / Deadlock letter.

Makes me wonder why I am trying to get a Virgin connection http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/Cable-Outside-Front-Door-BUT-Virgin-ERROR-says-...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very High Ping/Latency and Low Download Speeds (VIVID Gaming 200 Optical Fibre)

Hi Finlay,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. 

Sorry to read you are having an issue with the broadband connection.

From checking the network, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. The reference number is F003566129 and has a review date of 1st November. As this is a review date it can be subject to change.

If you are still experiencing the time-outs, can you post the network log for us to check please?

It may also be worth you creating a Broadband Quality Monitor to check the performance of the connection. You will need to disable the firewall within the router settings for this to work on he Hub 3.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
fmaciver
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Apologies for the very late reply, I've been away for a while now but back.

I switched to the old hub (2ac) and no longer get the issues with timeouts, however, the internet is incredibly slow still. Currently getting a maximum of 5 Mbps instead of the 200Mbps I'm paying for. We were told by the engineer that came back then that the issue would be fixed by the 1st November (as per the ticket) but it is still not fixed.

Should another engineer attend to see if the issues are perhaps the box/cabling?

Thanks

Finlay

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Finlay,

Good to hear from you, hope you're well Smiley Happy

Apologies for the slow speeds. The area fault seems to have cleared up but we will still investigate. The results you're getting, is that tested on a wireless or hard-wired device? Does the connection change at different times of the day / night?

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
fmaciver
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather,

It's still very bad for me, around 4Mbps with high ping. This is through both, my computer is wired and my boyfriend's is wireless. It seems to be the same download/ping all throughout the day. When I use speedtest.net, the optimal server it connects me to is called 'Clouvider Limited Enfield', if that is of any help at all.

Thanks

Finlay

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Finlay,

Thanks again for keeping in touch Smiley Happy

Really sorry for the on-going connection problems. I think the best thing to do is to arrange for an engineer to visit to give everything a once over as the fault Sam mentioned above has been resolved now. I'll get in touch via PM (purple envelope, top right) with the appointment info.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos