Menu
Ifbutandmaybe
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Variable Speeds cannot excuse substandard service

My current BB speed is 200MB presumably upload? This is variable I can understand that point. But these speeds have been consistently poor at 7am on 2/3/17. 706KB download 11.3MB upload, at 11.35am 420KB download 11.85MB upload, at 11.48am 1.1MB download 12.2MB upload. Netflix was not loading and iplayer was buffering. 

Rang support technician was not concerned about Netflix and iplayer not responding to being reset. He assured me that he had adjusted the settings and that it did not matter that the first and second modem blue lights were flickering even though they were usually solid with only the 4th flickering. I insisted that Speedtest.net was timing out and that the download result was lost...he assured me that I might need to wait up to 30 minutes for the WIFI speed to increase and asked if I had an Ethernet cable handy..no I didn't. Eventually he said he'd arrange for a replacement modem. I said not to bother I was getting seriously annoyed.

I wasn't happy went to billing bearing in mind I paid £84 a month for 200MB and just a basic TV service no movies. A reduction to 50MB would cost me £63.25 but only after 30 days. Now if I end the service with 30 days notice I need to pay a disconnection fee if its within contract of the remaining time in this case £188.23p.

That's fine in theory but I am entitled to enjoy a decent service and no the alleged speed increases never happend. So Virgin will need to effectively repair the defective service asap. I changed a defective modem in January and at the moment even this posting might be doubtful? Virgin alleges that there is nothing wrong with my internet connection.

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Variable Speeds cannot excuse substandard service

The only way to determine if VM are not providing a decent service is to test  wired directly to the hub with a Cat 5e cable or better with a device equiped with a gigabit ethernet network card. I would test during the day and again during evening peak to check for contention issues.

Wireless is affected by many external factors like Range, Wireless Interference, Wireless Client Hardware, and the topography of your home, which VM or any ISP can not do anything about. So, it is very unreliable to test the actual internet connection speed.

Once the connection has been tested wired, and you are not getting headline speed, then it is VM's problem.

If you are getting headline speed wired, then it looks like a wireless problem that will need further diagnosis. Changing the wireless channel is usually a good place to start.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The only way to determine if VM are not providing a decent service is to test  wired directly to the hub with a Cat 5e cable or better with a device equiped with a gigabit ethernet network card. I would test during the day and again during evening peak to check for contention issues.

Wireless is affected by many external factors like Range, Wireless Interference, Wireless Client Hardware, and the topography of your home, which VM or any ISP can not do anything about. So, it is very unreliable to test the actual internet connection speed.

Once the connection has been tested wired, and you are not getting headline speed, then it is VM's problem.

If you are getting headline speed wired, then it looks like a wireless problem that will need further diagnosis. Changing the wireless channel is usually a good place to start.

Ifbutandmaybe
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks to Griffin for their input.

In the meantime, today the service became worse. With download speeds timing out. Tech support claimed that this was due to an outrage yesterday. That re-connection would soon be established. I looked into Netflix code 2-5 nw tended to relate to problems with internet connectivity in this case with servers 3 and 4 offline and the info was that this related to slower speeds than normal. There was a host of other info relating to devices that I do not use.

So yes I can confirm that the service has been restored to 0.4MB download and 11.3MB upload and that Netflix and Iplayer both no longer work presumably because they need 3-5MB download though 25MB is considered preferable? A technician approaches over the horizon with an estimated date of arrival on 14th March but as you know nothing is written in stone. 

0 Kudos
Ifbutandmaybe
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Update

I received a text msg today from Virgin stating that they have cancelled my service visit.

This was because they have found a network problem in my area (14).

Pretty good climb down considering their claim of no known issues over a 3 day period

of persistently complaining. For anyone who thinks I got off lightly with a short term issue.

Yes you are correct, I would list everything else but it would take too long. When it works

as advertised it is pretty good even with less than 200MB otherwise... heavily censored.

0 Kudos
Ifbutandmaybe
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

We do not currently have any access to  BBC1 in addition to no catchup, no on demand, no apps and games...

Meanwhile someone is allegedly working to restore the problem right now...they really mean when the info was posted and not atm of reading it.
0 Kudos