Menu
martinbilal
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

VPN through Hitron Router

Hello,

Does anyone have any advice for getting VPN to pass through the Hitron router?  I've seen posts regarding the Superhub, but the Hitron business router has no VPN function itself and cannot be run in modem mode unless you don't want a static IP...

Many thanks in advance.

Martin

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
AJSG1969
Tuning in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: VPN through Hitron Router

First question really is who is the VPN going to, and from. If its from one PC to another just create it in Windows and save yourself a world of pain trying to get the Hitron router to work.

I spent a ton of money and time trying to get VPNs to work properly with Virgin and the short answer is that they don't work properly. Virgin throttles VPN above a certain bandwidth probably to try an police your connectivity. On a 200mb line I can get only a PPTP to work up to 25mb before suffering massive packet loss, and that is connecting to a 1gb/1gb Fibre line at work with a CCR1036.

If you really want to connect to a service then just get another router. The Hitron does not have to in modem mode. Just switch off Wifi, and connect it to the WAN port of your chosen router. I would recomend Mikrotik, we have CCRs, but that is overkill in most situations. There is a very big community out there always ready to help.

Lastly, get a backup line from BT, as your Virgin line will be down every couple of months. But get the slowest line from BT, as its the best quality.

0 Kudos
martinbilal
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: VPN through Hitron Router

thanks for your reply.  I was using another router (Sonicwall) and struggled to get it work properly.  Gave in and got it working in modem mode with dynamic IP and dyndns.

Seems to be working well with no apparent issues.

0 Kudos