Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4 (120 Views)

VPN throttling (90-95% slower on Hub 3.0)

I have been using VPN for years - No problem whatsoever on my current VPN provider. I could even game with solid 20 ping with VPN on - amazingly fast.

When I recently switched to virgin media hub 3.0 - the connection without vpn on speed test is 200-300mbps - but with vpn on it drops by OVER 90%.

I have done some tests on download speeds for dummy files - Without vpn , very fast.
With VPN - VERY slow.

This is not the fault of my VPN provider or server - They are perfectly fine and fast. Never had this fault with Sky. Only Virgin Media Hub 3.0.

Please virgin media stop goddamn throttling my VPN connections. I know you don't want any of us to have privacy but I will be glad to switch to another service provider if this **** continues.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4 (74 Views)

Re: VPN throttling (90-95% slower on Hub 3.0)

Hello Emlope

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems with slow VPN but we do not throttle it, details of what we manage may be found here Virgin Media Broadband traffic management policy

At the moment I am unable to identify your connection so can only speak in general terms. I wonder if it is a hub firewall/NAT thing, what happens if you try it for diagnostics in Modem mode on your Virgin Media Hub

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4 (49 Views)

[ Edited ]

Nicola_C wrote:

Hello Emlope

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems with slow VPN but we do not throttle it, details of what we manage may be found here Virgin Media Broadband traffic management policy

At the moment I am unable to identify your connection so can only speak in general terms. I wonder if it is a hub firewall/NAT thing, what happens if you try it for diagnostics in Modem mode on your Virgin Media Hub

Thank you

Thy is there hundreds of forum posts complaining about VPN connection being EXTREMELY slow especially on hub 3.0? Very drastic drops in speed.

Also why does it matter if I diagnose in modem mode? I need wifi in the house.

Oh yeah i also have unstable ethernet connection on a **bleep** 300mbps package with VM. 300mbps. I used to have 50mbps with sky and have stable 20ms ping on my games with no lagg spike. on ethernet. **bleep**.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4 (26 Views)

Thanks for updating the thread Emlope,

I am sincerely sorry to hear about all of this.

I'd like to help with investigating this for you.

To allow me to do so, could you respond via private message with the following information?:

• Name of the account holder
  • Home address
  • Your name

Speak soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos