Menu
Drdoug
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

VPN connection unstable / drops out

Hi,

I recently changed from a HUB2 to a HUB 3 router and have found that my VPN connection to my work network is very unstable. VM have been out and replaced the HUB 3 but I am still having the same problem. 

It happens on both the wireless and wired network and with multiple VPN clients so I am assuming its something to do with the HUB 3.

The problem is not consistent, some days it seems ok and others it drops out more than it is connected.

Any suggestions welcome as VM dont have any !

Very frustrating.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
srusevuk
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VPN connection unstable / drops out

I am about to run my SuperHub3 in bridge mode/modem mode and to connect CISCO ISR Router after.

After VM removed the option users to change the LAN sub-network/prefix they caused to me huge issues and discomfort and now ... firewall issues.

The router/firewall functions are very limited trough the www interface, you don't even have route option, you cannot do protocol number forward like GRE for example , we have only port forward to specific tcp/udp port to IP and port triggering, which is not enough to run tunnels properly. 

The most funny part is that the DMZ doesn't work on my router!. It can be enabled, but when I try to enter IP address in the DMZ zone it allays says the IP address in invalid...

Probably I will ask VM to go back on super-hub v.2

Terrible Device and Customer Service. Unfortunately I cannot get faster BB around...

All Replies
srusevuk
Tuning in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello there. I am sorry to hear you experience the same issues.

I just discovered that I am unable to enable any L2TP/PPTP connections to pass trough.

After I checked my "SuperHub" i discovered in the firewall section the L2TP/ PPTP Pass Trough settings are missing.

Month ago after their another software "update", we are unable to change the LAN sub-network/mask...

I can bet if you ask them why thy did it , they will say after you have specific requirements you can use our device in "Modem mode" and you can connect your own equipment after...

I am very disappointing with Virgin their customer service and I am about to leave them.

p.s Virgin pushed me to pay extra for modem upgrade, after my current modem was unstable, and after long conversation with the operator on the phone she says:

"Okay sir, after you want to leave us, that's fine"

They don't care about us.

0 Kudos
Drdoug
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So.......

From what I have read, the solution is to buy my own router and put the "super" hub into modem mode. This should resolve my issue. 

Does anyone have a recommendation for a router ?

and How do you put the "super" hub into modem mode ?

I put super in "" as it clearly isnt and neither is the customer service from VM.

0 Kudos
srusevuk
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello Drdoug,

I decided to share my unhappiness with Virgin for the past 3 months before to leave them.

Unstable VPN can be related with various issues not only related with our InternetServiceProvider.

In my case I know from where the problem origin, but every case is unique.

What can be done by you:

If you are teleworker for example and you connect remotely your computer to your company network you can contact your IT department and open a ticket regarding your VPN issues.They usually have monitoring systems and they should have additional information.

If you connect to non-corporate/private VPN infrastructure you should have a conversation with the right person.

If your company/private provider confirm of that everything is okay from their side, you can start searching for the problem with your home infrastructure.

Hard Reset - Virgin modem - Small hole on the back on the router

Connect your computer with cat5e+ network cable to the Virgin router and try how stable the connectivity will be.This will exclude potential wireless issues like radio interference, unstable driver or wireless interface etc.

Check your firewall settings if you have security application installed on your operational system you can try to disable it temporarily.

Check your computer for network profile software.

If you keep your computer on/stand-by/on it is good idea to be restarted doesn't matter which operational system is in use.

If you still have same experience you can try your Computer+VPN connection trough another ISP (like neighbor/tethering) and the opposite.

If the problem still exist contact Virgin or call ICT Engineer who can provide the right solution for you.

All other recommendations that I can suggest, require advanced network knowledge.

p.s. IF you experience VPN Router to Router issues the problems can be many.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Drdoug
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wow...thanks for the response.

My wife and I both work from home (on different days and for different companies). we have both raised tickets with our company it and they have found no issues with laptops or vpn. we have tried both wireless and wired connection to the super hub and the problem persists.

Vm claim no issue with their equipment and had no other suggestions.

I really need to get it sorted as some days are really bad.

0 Kudos
rhirons
Superfast
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I use my corporate VPN for work and a private VPN service for my home devices. Never had an issue. Just to double check have you tried enabling all of the VPN passthrough options in the superhubs settings?

HubMenu -> advanced settings -> firewall -> tick all of the Pass-through options and save. 

I had similar issues with my works VPN dropping until I enabled these options.

srusevuk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi rhirons,

As I explained early the latest firmware pushed by Virgin doesn't have these settings anymore. Please have a look on the screen-shoot.

If you have SuperHub3 with old firmware you don't have much time before latest gift from Virgin to to be scheduled for update in your area...

virgin-firewall.png

Hub 3.0 device information

The information below shows the current status of this Hub 3.0.

Standard specification compliant: DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version: 10
Software version: 9.1.116V
Cable MAC address: **:**:**:**:**:**
Cable modem serial number 
System up time: 0 days 4h:2m:15s
Network access: Allowed
0 Kudos
Drdoug
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This is what my hub looks like. I have the options in the screenshot.

Did you change your hub to modem mode and use another router ? if so did it fix the issue for you ?
0 Kudos
jlost
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The 'pass-through' section has been removed entirely for everyone running the current Super HUB 3.0 9.1.116V firmware. There where issues during the firmware trial and VM have in their wisdom decided to roll-out the firmware in this form. Who knows when (or if) the feature will return, as it does not appear to be something VM are particularly concerned about. 

0 Kudos
srusevuk
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am about to run my SuperHub3 in bridge mode/modem mode and to connect CISCO ISR Router after.

After VM removed the option users to change the LAN sub-network/prefix they caused to me huge issues and discomfort and now ... firewall issues.

The router/firewall functions are very limited trough the www interface, you don't even have route option, you cannot do protocol number forward like GRE for example , we have only port forward to specific tcp/udp port to IP and port triggering, which is not enough to run tunnels properly. 

The most funny part is that the DMZ doesn't work on my router!. It can be enabled, but when I try to enter IP address in the DMZ zone it allays says the IP address in invalid...

Probably I will ask VM to go back on super-hub v.2

Terrible Device and Customer Service. Unfortunately I cannot get faster BB around...