Menu
richardb48
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

VOIP issues!

Hi,

We have recently installed a VOIP phone system which is not working properly with our broadband.

I have been told it is something to do with the SIP ALG but have no idea what that is or what to do!

Are there any settings I can change to enable the VOIP to work and function properly?

Thanks so much,

Richard

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VOIP issues!

Hello Richard

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems with a VOIP phone system, SIP ALG is normally running on our hubs but cannot be turned off on the hub 2 or 3. It is possible to use it in modem only mode although I appreciate you will lose use of the router bit Modem mode on your Virgin Media Hub 

I did read something about setting up the phone to use encryption so the hub will not interfere with the packets so that may be worth exploring with the manufacture.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
adelphiaUK
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

richardb48 wrote:

Hi,

We have recently installed a VOIP phone system which is not working properly with our broadband.

I have been told it is something to do with the SIP ALG but have no idea what that is or what to do!

Are there any settings I can change to enable the VOIP to work and function properly?

Thanks so much,

Richard

Did you get this sorted or do you still need assistance? I have recently installed a small VoIP group (2 phones, 4 lines) which are working flawlessly now. However you must make sure that each phone has it's own SIP port (advised not to use the defaults for multiple phones) and a wide RTP port range (100+ per line). Also make sure any port forwarding is UDP and not TCP.

Chris
Virgin Business Hitron CGNV4 (FW:4.5.10.142-SIP-UPC - RETIRED)
0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello Richard

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems with a VOIP phone system, SIP ALG is normally running on our hubs but cannot be turned off on the hub 2 or 3. It is possible to use it in modem only mode although I appreciate you will lose use of the router bit Modem mode on your Virgin Media Hub 

I did read something about setting up the phone to use encryption so the hub will not interfere with the packets so that may be worth exploring with the manufacture.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
adelphiaUK
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

richardb48 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks so much,

Richard

Did you get this sorted or do you still need assistance? I have recently installed a small VoIP group (2 phones, 4 lines) which are working flawlessly now. However you must make sure that each phone has it's own SIP port (advised not to use the defaults for multiple phones) and a wide RTP port range (100+ per line). Also make sure any port forwarding is UDP and not TCP.

Chris
0 Kudos
a112wright
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have also recently installed Virgin broadband and i advised at the time of sale that i was using a voip system. Virgin installed said broadband and my phones did not work. I was also told that it was because the Virgin hub had SIP/ALG enabled and that this could not be disabled. I was told that i would need to buy an additional router to work alongside the hub provided by Virgin, which i was not happy about, I was not advised as to which compatible router to buy, so my Voip phone company advised me to buy one at the cost of £219.00 which i think is unfair. Virgin should of stated that they have problems with Voip phone services. However i have just seen that they are now operating a Voip service ironically. 

Could you please tell me if you got this sorted and how. Thanks

richardb48 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks so much,

Richard

0 Kudos
adelphiaUK
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you need help sorting this, let me know and I'll try to assist.

Chris
Tomo72
Dialled in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I had issues when we first joined Virgin with my wife's IP VOIP phone she brings home from work when working from home. I messed around with the SH2AC router ports etc for a while but ended up putting the phone in the DMZ and that worked. Whether or not that's a good idea or not I don't know.

0 Kudos
adelphiaUK
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You should never put anything on the DMZ that doesn't have it's own protection (like firewalls, anti-virus etc.). You leave it open to all kinds of attacks and also leave access to your entire network using an unprotected DMZ. It's fairly straight forward to configure an VoIP phone, you just need to set the router to allow the ports configured on the phone to have access to the outside world. Nothing more, nothing less. Bringing a phone from the office makes it a bit more difficult if it's configured for the office, you should really try and get the settings from your work if you wish to move it about and set it up at home accordingly.

Chris
0 Kudos
Tomo72
Dialled in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

adelphiaUK wrote:
You should never put anything on the DMZ that doesn't have it's own protection (like firewalls, anti-virus etc.). You leave it open to all kinds of attacks and also leave access to your entire network using an unprotected DMZ. It's fairly straight forward to configure an VoIP phone, you just need to set the router to allow the ports configured on the phone to have access to the outside world. Nothing more, nothing less. Bringing a phone from the office makes it a bit more difficult if it's configured for the office, you should really try and get the settings from your work if you wish to move it about and set it up at home accordingly.

Thanks for that adelphiaUK . Will it just be the ports I need to know? I'll see if my wife can get these.

0 Kudos
Tomo72
Dialled in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Apparently the ports are 5060 UDP/TCP but, I didn't think SIP ALG could be disabled on the SH2AC. If it can, or if I don't have to disabale it then could you provide what else I need to do and I'll have another look when my wife brings the phone home again.

0 Kudos
adelphiaUK
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Do you have any additional firewalls? Also, do you use the Hitron as your router or do you have a separate router? I need this information to assist as depending on your answers will depend on how we can resolve the issue.

Chris
0 Kudos