Menu
chris2chris
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

VOIP and superhub, 2 and 2ac

Please your best advice.

For many years I have used Voice over ip (VOIP) softphone on 'windows' and throughout the years had good contacts, call, everything,

I use sipgate and have my own telephone number where I can call anyone with a phone from my computer.

I have now had my speed uprated and was given a super hub 2, from then on my VOIP softphone would call & ring out, and the receiver would hear me but I could no longer hear them...I could still hear the  'sipgate' site voice mail over the web, ....but  no one I telephone proper can hear me.

I have tried many of the adjustments recomended for the many softphones (including one on my android tablet) I have tested, but still I do not hear them.

I told Virgin media, and got sent  a super hub 2ac and althoug trying this, again  nothing has changed...People can get my ring, I can receive theirs, they can hear me but I hear nothing....and no, I did not forget to put the sound up...

Do I push for a super hub 3, or would this be a waste of time.

Advice would be greatly appricated to get me up and working

Thank you, Chris

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: VOIP and superhub, 2 & 2ac

Waste of time. Yours is not a new complaint.

Put your hub into modem mode: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFl...

Attach an ethernet cable direct from your computer to your hub, then try VOIP again.

If the issue is resolved, attach a good 3rd party router, such as an Asus to do routing and wifi.

I'm currently recommending this model (may be overkill for you), but totally your choice on what you want to pay:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTAC87U/

If the issue is not resolved, you know it's nothing to do with the hub. 

chris2chris
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: VOIP and superhub, 2 & 2ac

I thank you for your help with setting up the superhub 2ac to get my VOIP going, and will attempt the advice, but before I do would like to add I did , with my old superhub 2, untick the  firewall shown within the hub, and attempted to use modem mode which disabled all the wireless conections, and left me with one 'live' plugin port on the back of the hub which I pluged my computer into and after a bit of 'faffing' about, got on line but still no full VOIP.. (maybe I did it wrong )

.I also tried a number of soft phones and changed settings ports and anything I could change and got either nothing, or once more part VOIP,,,, and was it just a coincidence that after years of VOIP working, problems only  happened when I changed to the super hub 2 ? not only on PC but also on a android tablet?

Having said that I did ring, as anyone would, Virgin, who put me through to the technical people who I expected to get first hand the good advice given me on this site, but their solution was to send me another super hub.

Well I most certanily will try and retry what has been suggested, and hope it works, but if modem mode does work, it means buying extra equipment to get VOIP working properly on this hub, something I got for free on the old hub.

I do appricate all advice.

Thank you, Chris.

0 Kudos