Menu
UB7VMuser
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

VM says they stop my broadband if I don't upgrade to SH

I'm still using the old VM cable modem (one Ethernet port, no functions other than modem mode).

All my networking is done by a Draytek router who does VoIP, port forwarding, DynDns, WiFi...). With other words, I do not have any use cases for the SH3 other than cable modem.

VM now sends me warnings that my broadband subscription will be terminated if I do not upgrade to SH3 by April 2017. Two questions I have: 1.) Will VM really terminate my broadband connection? Any reasons behind that? 2.) has the cable modem issue on SH3 been resolved regarding sleeping Ethernet port4 in modem mode? Any advice how I should move on as I'm not in the position to drive to my cable modem to power cycle it just because the Ethernet port to my Draytek router is down? Should I ask for SH2? What do you guys do who depend on your own router?

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM says they stop my broadband if I don't upgrade to SH

This thread should be of some interest for you
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Letter-from-virgin-media-about-Hub-3/m-p/...
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
UB7VMuser
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks,

going through the thread didn't really answer question 2.

I need to continue using my Draytek and therefore would require a remotely working SH3 in modem mode.
What I read in the forum is that SH3 in modem mode does not reliably keep the Ethernet port working towards the router (draytek).
Anyone running this configuration on SH3 and happy with the reliability?
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've never used the Hub3 in modem mode, but I believe what you refer to, is port flapping (put "port flapping" in the forum search).

That bug was resolved in the last firmware update 9.1.116V.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have a Hub3 in modem mode with my own router and since using the current fix level I have had NO problems with modem mode.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
UB7VMuser
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Tudor, many thanks for your answer which gives me confidence to upgrade to SH3.
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hi UB7VMuser

the upgrade is to keep up to date with DOCSIS® 3 tech and that single modem is do not use this and any upgrade speeds you can get with SH3 i use this is router mode without problems i don't think you will have no problems in modem mode with it

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

this frist qeustion to answer yes becuse they do not support the old verson single modem anymore with one port and they stopped the support with SH1 they only going to run this SH3 they had in for a bit now and the single port modem is only DOCSIS® 1 tech pair to newer models SH2ac or SH3 has this DOCSIS® 3 tech what virgin media runs now they will stop the old tech this year and it can't be used again SH3 have more channels can be locked and can be more stable then SH2ac by my use i did with SH3 and the ports is more faster with SH3 then SH2ac that only have one fast port and you will notice the speed diff with your Draytek you can use your own router with SH3

0 Kudos
UB7VMuser
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to all of you. I've ordered the SH3 hub which should arrive this week. I'll let you know in case I run into issuers. For the moment I'm looking forward to the upgraded equipment and a promised higher data throughput.
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

when it comes you have to look in the book really good for the actviton number ring up before you plug this in

0 Kudos