Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5 (789 Views)

VM Hub 3.0 Problems

Hi Just fitted one of these new VM 3.0 hubs. Got some problems though - everything works except: a) No USB interface on new VM Modem/Hub so no Back Up Storage. b) Kindles do not interface with the new hub. The ‘Community’ suggestion of plugging in my old hub via an Ethernet cable seems a possible solution to overcome the problems. However, this will mean a much bigger box replacing the old modem and appears to fly in the face of progress. Statistically (Pareto), it might appear that there will be ~ 1 million of the ~ 5 million Virgin broadband subscribers similarly adversely affected. That would be an awful lot of ‘very confused and disappointed’ customers, logically too many for VM to ignore. Please, have I misunderstood or missed something and there is a VM ‘engineered’ solution to these apparent design interface ‘oversights’ or failing that would the above suggestion work or is there something better? Many thanks… Our setup is: 2 x Mac Laptops - WiFi 1 x Mac Desktop - WiFi 1 x i6s - WiFi 1 x iPad - WiFi 1 X Virgin Modem* 1 x Mac A1143 Hub* 1 x Seagate 4TB Hard Drive (Used as Shared Backup Storage) - USB to Hub* 1 x HP Printer - Ethernet to Hub 2 x Amazon Kindles – WiFi iCloud only used to free limit. * Only items permanently powered
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5 (1,544 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by bogwort
‎20-03-2017 17:04

Re: VM Hub 3.0 Problems

bogwort wrote:
Hi Just fitted one of these new VM 3.0 hubs. Got some problems though - everything works except:
a) No USB interface on new VM Modem/Hub so no Back Up Storage.
[SEPH]:  The USB is not intended by VM to work.  The VM bods, when they get to this thread in a week's time will more -r less confirm that.  Reason is that it opens up a whole new support dimension that they would rather avoid, including load imposed on the CPU and buffers.  Ethernet backup storage would solve that.
b) Kindles do not interface with the new hub.
[SEPH]:  They should work.  The most common cause is where the Kindle is bound to the 2.4GHz wireless band and the Hub has a single SSID to cover both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands; the resolution here is to give them separate names in the Hub's GUI interface.
If that doesn't work, you may wish to check the 2.4GHz security setting and ensure it is set tp WPA-PSK
The ‘Community’ suggestion of plugging in my old hub via an Ethernet cable seems a possible solution to overcome the problems. However, this will mean a much bigger box replacing the old modem and appears to fly in the face of progress.
Statistically (Pareto), it might appear that there will be ~ 1 million of the ~ 5 million Virgin broadband subscribers similarly adversely affected. That would be an awful lot of ‘very confused and disappointed’ customers, logically too many for VM to ignore.
[SEPH]:  You're flying a kite there!  If there were anything like the numbers you suggest, the forums will be flooded with queries on this.  You might care to search the Community under the term KINDLE and see what that throws up by way of symptom & resolution.

<SNIP>

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos

All Replies
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5 (1,545 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by bogwort
‎20-03-2017 17:04

bogwort wrote:
Hi Just fitted one of these new VM 3.0 hubs. Got some problems though - everything works except:
a) No USB interface on new VM Modem/Hub so no Back Up Storage.
[SEPH]:  The USB is not intended by VM to work.  The VM bods, when they get to this thread in a week's time will more -r less confirm that.  Reason is that it opens up a whole new support dimension that they would rather avoid, including load imposed on the CPU and buffers.  Ethernet backup storage would solve that.
b) Kindles do not interface with the new hub.
[SEPH]:  They should work.  The most common cause is where the Kindle is bound to the 2.4GHz wireless band and the Hub has a single SSID to cover both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands; the resolution here is to give them separate names in the Hub's GUI interface.
If that doesn't work, you may wish to check the 2.4GHz security setting and ensure it is set tp WPA-PSK
The ‘Community’ suggestion of plugging in my old hub via an Ethernet cable seems a possible solution to overcome the problems. However, this will mean a much bigger box replacing the old modem and appears to fly in the face of progress.
Statistically (Pareto), it might appear that there will be ~ 1 million of the ~ 5 million Virgin broadband subscribers similarly adversely affected. That would be an awful lot of ‘very confused and disappointed’ customers, logically too many for VM to ignore.
[SEPH]:  You're flying a kite there!  If there were anything like the numbers you suggest, the forums will be flooded with queries on this.  You might care to search the Community under the term KINDLE and see what that throws up by way of symptom & resolution.

<SNIP>

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5 (766 Views)

Hi Seph Thanks for your response and helpful suggestions. I have just this minute finished connecting up the old Apple Hub to the VM Hub 3.0. Had to update the old hub settings to 'bridge mode' but Kindles and Seagate 4TB Back Up drive are back on line now. I've wasted a day researching this so far, so I'm going to leave it as it is for now until I've got more time. I take your point about reasons for not providing an USB interface but, I wonder how much the decision to leave it out was influenced by the Industry generally heading towards 'money printing cloud storage solutions' as opposed to User owned personal systems. Your observation concerning the Forum being flooded and my 'kite', I will give some more thought to. What I do know is that the design review process for defining the interfaces should have identified the USB and frequency problems. That there appears to be nothing in the installation instructions is indicative of an 'oversight' by VM or a very poor design review process. Either way, as a customer I feel very poorly served by VM. Thanks again for your support... Regards
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5 (756 Views)

bogwort wrote:
Hi Seph Thanks for your response and helpful suggestions. I have just this minute finished connecting up the old Apple Hub to the VM Hub 3.0. Had to update the old hub settings to 'bridge mode' but Kindles and Seagate 4TB Back Up drive are back on line now. I've wasted a day researching this so far, so I'm going to leave it as it is for now until I've got more time. I take your point about reasons for not providing an USB interface but, I wonder how much the decision to leave it out was influenced by the Industry generally heading towards 'money printing cloud storage solutions' as opposed to User owned personal systems. Your observation concerning the Forum being flooded and my 'kite', I will give some more thought to. What I do know is that the design review process for defining the interfaces should have identified the USB and frequency problems. That there appears to be nothing in the installation instructions is indicative of an 'oversight' by VM or a very poor design review process. Either way, as a customer I feel very poorly served by VM. Thanks again for your support... Regards

Glad you added a bridged router.  But I don't agree with your 'money printing' theory for the simple reason that an Ethernet connection to a NAS is available.

Thing about the USB interface is that the Hub 3 is a rebadged Arris TG2492 - an OEM DOCSIS gateway.  Some providers in other countries enable the USB port on their version of the TG2492.

On your 'poorly served' point, it seems to me that unless there is an undeclared speed or circuit issue, your point is founded on the Hub 3 design.  Internet is very important to me and I wouldn't for one moment trust anything other than a modem service to an el-cheapo gateway. So my Hub 3 (and its predecessors) in modem mode with a decent router and a switch to provide additional ports.  Simples.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5 (586 Views)

Hi "But I don't agree with your 'money printing' theory for the simple reason that an Ethernet connection to a NAS is available." Interesting point – I think a lot depends on your point of view – yes, you can get Ethernet (much faster) NAS but it is a good bit more expensive which means that the majority of customers will likely have gone for USB NAS as a more economic solution. This means that the majority of affected Customers will still be ‘drifted’ towards buying external cloud space. Let us not forget that the majority of Customers are not overly confident when it comes to these matters and when it comes to Back Up, speed is not an essential priority for the majority of Customers as Bup is usually done in the background. I have not long invested in this 4TB USB Hard Drive and the prospect of buying an ethernet version now is not a fun idea for a pensioner - downer! I did not know that the new hub is effectively an off the shelf item – thanks. I think perhaps we are not understanding one another when it comes to your last paragraph and it is probably best left. What I am disappointed about is that VM appear not to have included any coverage in the installation documentation for customers currently with a need for Hub USB connectivity or how to get around the Kindle thing. That said, I am probably expecting too much as your ISO 9001 2015 has not had time to sort out customer dis-satisfactions such as these. As for the ‘Kite’ stuff, I have looked at the Forum data again. Yes, it is a broad 1st level approximation assuming that there has been 100% roll out, which of course there has not been yet. The net result is that the real picture will be a lot worse. I therefore recommend that this is brought to the notice of the VM statistical experts. Think about it - Divide the customer base (~ 5M) by number of operational 3.0 Hubs and times the number of times related posts have been read and there is your flood of problems to a first approximation????? By the way how many 3.0 Hubs are up and running now please? Regards
0 Kudos