Menu
braz
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VM Hub 3.0 - Ethernet cables causing problems

Hi forum,

I just wanted to report my experience & find out if this is affecting anyone else. Early December my Hub2ac became very unstable, after many calls to Virgin support I was sent a new Hub 3.0. I had five blissful days of full speed internet and then it all went pear shaped. Since Monday last week I've had little to no internet, have spent far too much time calling 150 to no avail. Earlier today after resetting the router again I tried unplugging the ethernet cables going into the back of the hub and since then I've had no problem connecting to the internet wirelessly. As soon as I plug an ethernet cable into the hub it falls apart. I'm ok to keep using it wirelessly but would like to use the ethernet ports in the future.

So a) should I call 150 and report what I've found? b) has anyone else experienced this and have any idea as to what is going on. I did find that Virgin Media have told the Daily Express that they have problems that are affecting the network that won't be fixed til 17 January 2017, do you think this is part of that issue?

Thanks in advance!

Bryant 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Hub 3.0 - Ethernet cables causing problems

Badly made Ethernet cable can become fragile. I would try replacing the cable first, even good ones are reasonably priced on Amazon.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Something simple like bending a cable too sharply can cause it to fail intermittently. I did that once and I suspected all sorts of causes before realising it was a kinked cable. Having a couple of spares means you can quickly try a swap, before swapping out more expensive components

0 Kudos
braz
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've tried connecting each (I was using 4 cables in total) separately and the hub kept falling apart irrespective of which port I plugged them in. Will try buying a new cable but I suspect that the network is running out of IPv4 addresses and falling over as a result, especially as Virgin have told the national media that they have network problems that won't be resolved until the 17th January (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4052598/Virgin-Media-internet-blackouts-hit-UK-Custom...)... still will buy a new one and try it out!

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

you only have one external ip address. not a different one on each cable. sounds like you need a replacement hub. or you could muddle thoruh with a cheap switch connectred to one reliable port, if you have one reliable one, then plug your wired devices into the switch

force a factory reset of the hub is another option

0 Kudos