Menu
mosschops
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Using a belkin wireless router as a hub...?

I have a Virgin Hub 3.0 downstairs.  I have a few items wired in to the ports, and a few items running off the wireless.  Everything is working fine.

Except I have a device upstairs that is wired Ethernet only, so I can't connect it to the network.

But I do have an old Belkin wireless router, so can I somehow set it up like this...

Connect the upstairs device to the Belkin router using wired Ethernet, then connect the Belkin Router to the Hub 3.0 via wireless?

Would that work? If so how would I config the router with regards to IP address/subnet etc?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Using a belkin wireless router as a hub...?

It would be a much better solution if you went and got yourself a pair or powerline ethernet adapters, they are quite cheap these days and to try and connect an old router to the hub wireless would have more bad consequences than it is worth.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa4010kit-av600-p...

All Replies
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It would be a much better solution if you went and got yourself a pair or powerline ethernet adapters, they are quite cheap these days and to try and connect an old router to the hub wireless would have more bad consequences than it is worth.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa4010kit-av600-p...

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Short answer no, as the hub doesn't support WDS or wireless bridging. You could wire the Belkin to the hub 3 and use it as a wireless access point, but it doesn't look like that is not what you want.

I would agree with deviousphone that powerline adapters would provide the next best solution to running an ethernet cable upstairs.

0 Kudos
mosschops
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So you'd plug the device into one, and plug the other into the virgin hub 3?
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the "first" powerline plug is connected to your SH by cable, and the "second" powerline plug upstairs is connected to your Ethernet device. The 2 plugs communicate over the house wiring. It's not as fast as a proper cabled solution, but it saves running cables all over the house.

You can get different types of plugs, some are pass through, some have more than one Ethernet cable point, and some have wireless access points built in.

It's all down to price Smiley Happy

mosschops
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I bought a pair of these and they work just fine.

0 Kudos