Menu
omendata
Superfast
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Using An Old Superhub V1.0 As A 4 Port Gigabit Switch

I need a new switch for a part of my network but found an old Superhub v1.0.
Cannot find any tech info on the switch capabilities - thruput etc.

I have heard that it has problems functioning as just a switch - anyone tried it and any thruput issues?
Once its up and running it might also be useful to enable the wireless functionality giving more wireless coverage for another part of the house!

Am cabling it up once i can repair the power supply so will suck it and see!

Saves a few quid since i lost my job i am trying to save cash on just about everything these days!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Using An Old Superhub V1.0 As A 4 Port Gigabit Switch

will work - ports are gigabit so better than the 615's - i use a SH2 in the same way and have no problems - had a SH1 before that but the power supply gave out and the 2 was there to use

Tony

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Your issue is going to be it uses the same LAN IP as your current gateway. Perfectly possible to just switch off DHCP and its a switch. Just need to get round the IP issue. Been a while since I used a SHUB1 , but I THINK its possible to set it a different LAN IP.

As for throughput, as the modem side of the HUB is inactive its likely to do "as fast as you need for most applications" - Its Gigabit capable so unlikely to bottleneck LAN side speeds. Your processor and HD speeds are more likely to limit the likes of large file transfers.

0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yeah i know how to do all that i work in Networking its the actual tech specs i am interested in and if anyone has tried it Kippies!
Thanks anyway, its usually the pci bus and hard drive as you said that limits gigabit speeds and device mix on the network as ive seen a 100mbps device on a gigabit switch tank the speeds that can limit full gigabit and of course throwing in things like MTU/Jumbo frames and nic flow control and qos - ive spent years doing it on Nas/ San and server nics but the main thing bottleneck is the motherboard and hdu - try doing it on an old pci bus with a 5400rpm hdu and its laughable 100mbps max! My network is ow quite efficient all devices are gigabit cat 6 so im worried if i stick the superhub in its going to have an effect on the network overall speed as its apparently not true gigabit.

I wanted to know if anyone has encountered problems as the switch does not perform like a proper switch & speed limitations due to the asic used which reduced speed considerably so i have gleaned from other forums.

Just wanted to know if anyone has tried it and the results using iperf/jperf or ixchariot etc.
In depth tech specs like the mac table size and cut thru or s&f etc.

Mine has a blown psu so i will have to fix that before i can use it!
I converted two of the old Dir-615's to Tomato and DDWRT firmwares for use as wireless bridges but cant do that sort of thing with the Superhubs!

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You can get a new 5 port 1G Netgear Switch on Amazon for £10 to £15, why bother with the old equipment. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

will work - ports are gigabit so better than the 615's - i use a SH2 in the same way and have no problems - had a SH1 before that but the power supply gave out and the 2 was there to use

Tony
omendata
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks yeah i thought it would work fine ive got a Talktalk Echolife working as a wireless bridge and a Talktalk DL380 working as a switch as well - just concerned about some of the comments over on sysopt.com that the superhub 1 gigabit ports dont work at full rate as some guy has done in depth tests and has found some weird anomalies when it is cabled up to another switch such as reduced bandwidth , ports going to sleep and weird incompatibilities like showing up as 10/100 on some switches.

It does seem that the Virgin media superhub power supplies are not very reliable , i've just opened mine up to repair it and it is a bit cheap and skimpy on the component side!

Yes i know other switches are cheap i am buying a TP-LINK TL-SG108E just because i like to test and tweak and review networking gadgets and it has some very nice features that i want to explore for the price such as cable length measurement and QOS, Vlan etc and will be a nice addition to my two Cisco 3500 POE switches. TP-Link are my favourite provider for networking on the cheap - great prices and actually pretty good quality for a Polish company!

I know they are cheap but im skint and a natural tightarse so i like to re-purpose items rather than throw in the back of a cupboard or chuck em out!

0 Kudos