cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Virgin Media Wifi Hotspot On Mac?

H4MZ4
On our wavelength
Currently away from home and I notice a VM hotspot near me, so it's quite useful to think I could grab a temp connection. Only problem is, my phone (with the app) doesn't see the wifi hotspot since its probably a little too far, however my Mac sees it perfectly.

Is it possible to connect to then VM wifi hotspots on non phones? Seems like it asks for a user and password when I try to connect.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

H4MZ4
On our wavelength

Worked it out:

It's an enterprise wifi connection that requests an username and password...

To connect without the app,

1. Choose the WiFi network "Virgin Media"
2. Username is your VM account email, "vmedwifi/*YOUREMAIL*" eg. vmedwifi/myemail@yahoo.co.uk
3. Password is your VM account password

and connect...

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

This worked great for me, with the following choices:

- Eap method - TTLS

- Phase-2 authentication - MSCHAPV2

Put the user name as described by H4MZ4 into the identity field.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

52 REPLIES 52

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
As far as I know, there is no App available for the Mac and you can only access VM public WiFi through an App.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

H4MZ4
On our wavelength

Worked it out:

2. Username is your VM account email, "vmedwifi/*YOUREMAIL*" eg. vmedwifi/myemail@yahoo.co.uk

and connect...

Nicola_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello H4MZ4

That's brilliant well figured out, I did not know that but will add it to my list of usefulness, thank you!

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team

Hi H4MZ4,

I was just about to ask the same question about using a mac to connect, so thank you for sharing the details for connecting to the VM wifi. 

Have you tried connecting to the _The Cloud X and arq_wifi_x wifi networks anywhere using the same details? Would be quite handy if these also worked! 

It it would be nice if VM could setup a provisioning system for profiles that could be installed on Macs the same way as it is done for iOS.

Robwri35
On our wavelength
I can't get my Mac to connect up.

Hub 3 with a regular VM123456 and Virgin Media ssid.

My phone won't connect either.

Thanks that was a really helpful reply. This needs to be a pinned post!

This worked great for me, with the following choices:

- Eap method - TTLS

- Phase-2 authentication - MSCHAPV2

Put the user name as described by H4MZ4 into the identity field.

keithse
Problem sorter

@H4MZ4 wrote:

Worked it out:

and connect...

Kudos!  This also works on Windows Phones  Smiley Very Happy

Keith

coalesce
Joining in

@H4MZ4 wrote:
Currently away from home and I notice a VM hotspot near me, so it's quite useful to think I could grab a temp connection. Only problem is, my phone (with the app) doesn't see the wifi hotspot since its probably a little too far, however my Mac sees it perfectly.

Is it possible to connect to then VM wifi hotspots on non phones? Seems like it asks for a user and password when I try to connect.

Hi, I've successfully connected to the Virgin Media wifi, but I'm having issues with connectivity. I cant seem to load many websites (other than facebook, youtube and google) as they will display the "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED", and after many refreshes it will finally load, but the webpage will be a mess and images/ thumbnails will all be missing. Am i forgetting to do something? What i did was follow the instructions of logging in with vmedwifi/email and password, followed by allowing the installation of the certificate... Any idea anyone?