cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Virgin Media Wifi Hotspot On Mac?

H4MZ4
On our wavelength
Currently away from home and I notice a VM hotspot near me, so it's quite useful to think I could grab a temp connection. Only problem is, my phone (with the app) doesn't see the wifi hotspot since its probably a little too far, however my Mac sees it perfectly.

Is it possible to connect to then VM wifi hotspots on non phones? Seems like it asks for a user and password when I try to connect.
52 REPLIES 52

I would like to be able to use the Virgin wifi hotspot on my laptop when I'm away from home which surely is quite reasonable (?) and I thought that H4MZ4's post might do the trick (thanks for your post H4MZ4!)

However, when I look at available networks via the standard WiFi button it shows my home and guest networks plus other stored connections (e.g.: those at my son and daughter's houses) along with the hotspot "Virgin Media" which is shown as secured - but there are no sign in options available.  If I click on it, it simply tries to connect then displays a message "Cannot connect to this network".   There is no option to "forget" it nor delete it.

If anyone has any ideas I really would be grateful!

Thanks...

Dave

Hi DaveMobile,

If you're on a Mac (if you're using a Windows laptop ignore this) you can delete the saved network by unlocking Network preferences and click Advanced, highlight the 'Virgin Media' in the saved networks you have joined and remove it by clicking - under the box. 

You may also need to remove incorrect saved password via your Keychain.

That's great and shows connected. However I get no internet on my browser or mail activity. Are you able to provide the settings in Network Preferences that might help enable this? - I don't seem to be able to populate the tcp/ip fields by renewing the lease etc.

Many Thanks

phil557
Tuning in

I've had similar difficulties to some other posters.

An Android phone works fine on SSID "Virgin Media".

Based on the information in an earlier post (thanks!) it's possible to tell a linux laptop to join the network.  It's offered but not actually given a DHCP address (the server never replies with ACK).  Perhaps that's the same problems others are having?  Any suggestions, anyone?

pctechwg
On our wavelength
Any solutions to this? Getting a phone on the free wifi is useful, somewhat. But a laptop is where all your work is and things. How can I sit at the pub and connect to the Virgin Media free wifi that I am entitled to use as part of being a Virgin media customer on a Windows PC?

Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi pctechwg, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have had trouble with connecting to the hot-spots. 

Take a look at Connecting To Virgin Media WiFi

Let us know how you get on. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi,

I downloaded the VM WIFI app for my phone and it works great. But would like to use my MacBook on a Virgin hotspot too.

I've tried following the instructions, but i can't seem to get connected.

I've also looked at the comments about using Eap method - TTLS , but only seem to get the option for TLS

Can anyone give me some advice on how to connect my MacBook please?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all, 

Also having the same issue on a mac, whereby vmedwifi/email address is not working. 

The option for EAP-TLS then requires a certificate which my mac doesn't have. 

Any ideas?

Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Robwri35, 

Thanks for getting in touch I am sorry to see that you have had trouble accessing the Virgin media WiFi. 

If you haven't had any luck with Our WiFi help page make sure the app you are using is up to date. 

If you are using a tablet please be aware of the following:

'Tablets: currently Virgin Mobile SIMs allow you to enjoy the app on cellular-enabled Android tablets but not cellular-enabled iPads. This is something we are looking into, so watch this space!'

Keep us posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

I'm trying this at home (with my virgin hub3) from my iPhone but it does not accept my VM account password?