Menu
TheWhiteZombie
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Use SuperHub 2 as Wifi Repeater / Ethernet Hub

Hi, I recently received my SuperHub3 (SH3) to replace my SuperHub2 (SH2) and all is working as expected. 

I don't get the best WiFi signal in one room in the house so I had bought a TP Link repeater which is working OK, I say OK as the strength could be better.

Anyway, yesterday I reconfigured my SH2 to act as an Ethernet hub, so I disabled DHCP,  Wifi etc and have ran a CAT5 cable from the SH3 to the SH2 in my room, and then connected a laptop (also via ethernet) to the SH2 and I am getting the full speed so happy with that. I am going to connect my other devices (Android box and PS TV using ethernet to the SH2 in the room).

My question is, can I use the SH2 as a WiFi repeater and do away with the need for the TP Link?

I would prefer it to have an ethernet connection from the SH2 to the SH3 and the SH2 broadcast its signal. I also still need to ensure I can use my other Ethernet devices via the SH2 (PS TV, Android box).

I don't mind if it needs to be a different AP name and I will manually disconnect and reconnect as and when needed, if I can do it roaming with some sort of MAC bridging then ideal but my main priority is to do away with the need for the TP Link repeater.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Use SuperHub 2 as Wifi Repeater / Ethernet Hub

Hi TheWhiteZombie,

Do you mean using the Hub2 to receive wireless signal from the Hub? If so then this isn't possible as the Hub2 doesn't have the facility to receive wireless signals.

I hope this helps.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
TheWhiteZombie
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Not exactly, the internet connection at the moment is being fed to the SH2 from the SH3 via an Ethernet cable so from an Ethernet perspective it's all good, I have my pstv and mad catz mojo connected to the SH2 via Ethernet and that fine as well, so at the moment it's effectively running as an Ethernet hub. Just wondered if I could also broadcast a WiFi signal from the SH2 so it's effectively acting as an access point.

I'm not fussed if it has to be a different WiFi name/key.

Cheers
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi TheWhiteZombie,

Yes you can set the SH2 to broadcast wifi, you could set both to use the same SSID and passphrase so your devices will switch to the strongest signal automatically though as this isn't standard operating you may see some unexpected issues. If that's the case just try a different SSID and make sure the channels don't clash Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

TheWhiteZombie
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Magic, thanks man, was just looking for some confirmation before I went back into the settings to start messing about again. Not had the time over the last couple of weeks so will try and find time over this week to get it all configured.
Cheers
0 Kudos
Tastic82
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

TheWhiteZombie wrote:

Hi, I recently received my SuperHub3 (SH3) to replace my SuperHub2 (SH2) and all is working as expected. 

I don't get the best WiFi signal in one room in the house so I had bought a TP Link repeater which is working OK, I say OK as the strength could be better.

Anyway, yesterday I reconfigured my SH2 to act as an Ethernet hub, so I disabled DHCP,  Wifi etc and have ran a CAT5 cable from the SH3 to the SH2 in my room, and then connected a laptop (also via ethernet) to the SH2 and I am getting the full speed so happy with that. I am going to connect my other devices (Android box and PS TV using ethernet to the SH2 in the room).

Hi,

Would you mind telling me the exact steps you used to configure your Superhub 2 as an ethernet hub. i'm trying to do the same thing so i can connect my PS4 and Xbox One which in in another room. I've seen a video about changing the IP of the SHub2 and disabling the DHCP but once i've changed the LAN IP then i can't get back into the router with the new or old IP... frustrating.

Cheers

0 Kudos
curiousgeorge2
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I too have received a SH3 and would like to use my SH2 as a repeater (I don't mind about each hub having its own user name and password).

forgive me for sounding dumb, but it is obvious to me that the Ethernet cable can go into any of the Ethernet ports on the back of the SH3 but where do I put the Ethernet cable on the SH2? Any of the Ethernet ports? Do I need to re-programme anything if so how?

Thank you

0 Kudos
curiousgeorge2
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I too have received a SH3 and would like to use my SH2 as a repeater.

I have a Ethernet cable running from SH3 (to SH2) but where do I put the other end of the Ethernet cable in SH2. I know it sounds daft but the original incoming signal goes into the screw threaded port on back.

If the answer is as simple as just put it in one of the Ethernet ports, does it matter which one and does it require any programming?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
wessiderules
Just joined
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have successfully done this. Will be uploading a vid soon
erprashant
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Did you manage to upload video?

If not would you be able to share the steps...

0 Kudos