Menu
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upstream interface issue

You might need to dsablle the hub's firewall, as I din't think there is a setting on the Hub 3 to respond to ICMP timeout echo requests sorry can't be more specific as I don't have a hub 3

0 Kudos
underbelly7
Joining in
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ah yes that'll be it. Enabled ICMP on WAN and seeing some info now - thanks.  

2017-10-13_10-59-28.jpg

0 Kudos
underbelly7
Joining in
Message 13 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Oh dear humanity. 4 days of being told the cause is over- utilisation in the area. Engineer who visited the property concurred. I was advised that I can come out of contract 3 days ago without penalty when speaking to retentions. Today I phoned to do just that, and I have been advised that information was incorrect. Today, the retentions representative advised that the over utilisation problem is 100% NOT affecting my property. Root cause unknown but local fault likely to be the problem. I can no longer come out of the contract without penalty. 

What are my legal rights here? 95% service level drop around the clock (not just at peak times). Have they've got me by the short and curlies?

0 Kudos
whitehoose
Tuning in
Message 14 of 18
Flag for a moderator

If they've acknowledged the problem the internet pixies will be dealing with the situation as fast as their little legs will go.  Poking them with a stick may make you feel better - but it won't speed them up. 

Have a look here https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status It might give some solace and even less information about what's what.  Updates aren't instant - but it gives you something to look at.

Best thing is find a book and try and have a bit of down time - certainly fretting won't speed anything up - quite the opposite in fact - or pretend it's the 60s.  Time the Tide and Virgin Media-ocre move for no man.

There is life without broadband, but not as we know it.

Seriously though - not a good idea to disable the firewall for any significant time.  Especially if in modem mode.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 18
Flag for a moderator

That's better with the BQM, it looks fine apart from the high amount of packet loss which would be indicative of a technical fault. Keep an eye on the graph from around 4pm, any utilisation issues should start to rear it's ugly head from around then when the little darlings get back from school.

Personally, I would leave the thread alone until a VM pick up the thread and can give you an informed answer. and a Fault Number that will let you claim a discount off your bill. If you have had the price increase letter within the last 30 days you will be able to leave your contract without penalty. You should be able to leave without penalty if you have a utilsation issues with a bit pushing.

underbelly7
Joining in
Message 16 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Social and personal use aside, my wife and I work from home regularly. Our ability to do so was affected last night and earlier in the week. Constant VPN disconnects and lag. I couldn't careless if Netflix buffers so long as we're able to maintain a stable enough connection to work. Service-status page declares there are no outstanding faults in my area. Lauren from VM Retentions insist there is nothing affecting my property - so why has an over-utilisation discount been applied to my account? They concede there's an issue and reduce my bill but when I ask to be released from contract, I'm told there's no faults affecting my property

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 17 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I would be aware that the service staus only reports Cat 1 faults affecting many thousands of users, contention issues will not be reported. You do have a technical fault which maybe localised which will not show up on the service checker.

I would wait for an informed response from the VM team, bearing in mind that they answer from your last post on the thread, so if you bump the thread you will go to the back of the queue.

The easiest way to leave without penalty would be via the price increase letter. If the 30 day period has expired and you do have a confirmed utilsation issue (with Fault Number) which will not be fixed in a timely manner, then you can ask to leave without penalty. if VM refuse then you can contact CISAS the independent adjudication service to resolve the deadlock.It will be worth mentioning them when asking to leave without penaly.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 18 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi there underbelly7,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

My apologies you are experiencing an issue with the broadband connection.

I would like to check this in more detail, however I was unable to locate your account. If you can send me a Private Message confirming your name and full address, I will look further into this.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos