Menu
Noggy1
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade to Super Hub 3

Hi I just wanted to know whether anyone has upgraded their router laterly to the newer Super Hub 3 or whether it is better to switch my existing router to Modem mode and buy and connect a third party device. My existing router is the original Super Hub, but I have been experiencing poorer performance with the number of wireless devices needing connection. So, I just wanted to know what experiences people have had with the newer device, how they managed to persuade Virgin to supply one, did it cost anything to switch to Super Hub 3, or was it easier to go out and buy a Neatgear NightHawk? Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade to Super Hub 3

The Nighthawk would be FAR superior than ANY router supplied by an ISP.

0 Kudos
Noggy1
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for replying. I had a feeling this would be the case.

However, I would like to ask what would be a suitable wireless router and how easy or difficult it is connect it to the super hub by Ethernet cable? 

I was thinking of the nether nighthawk x8 rs8500, but it cost £370, but there is the x4s which is almost half the price. The problem is whether it is really worth buying the cheaper one or the more expensive one, and are they future proof. Which router do you use and how easy was it for you to set-up?

I take it to set the super hub to modem mode, I can simply log on to it and change the setting?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I, personally, use the Hub 3.0 in Router Mode as it meets my requirements.

Before you spend any money, you need to identify what function you NEED that any Superhub from Virgin Media cannot match.

0 Kudos
Noggy1
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It really comes down to the number of devices my family have. Some of which have the new wireless protocols. My house is also becoming smart with IoT, and super hub mk1 is not so good now and is struggling.

Would virgin media give me super hub 3 without a charge?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you haven't had a chat with Retentions recently about your services, costs and equipment, give them a call and make an upgrade from Superhub 1 to Hub 3.0 an important part of your requirements, supplied free of charge.

Call 150 from your Virgin Media landline or mobile or 0345 454 1111. Take option 1 initially for Virgin Media then options 4 then 5. Best to call weekday mornings. This group are UK based.

0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I just got a new superhub 3.0 after the psu on my superhub2 went down - must admit the superhub 3 is just as bad in the wifi department and it has lost a lot of menu options and security - in tests the superhub 2 is stilla better option!

The superhub 3 offers nothing more than a superhub 2 other than the ability to handle increased docsis fibre speeds!
0 Kudos