Menu
FlashPan
Superfast
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unknown Wifi clients on my guest wifi?

Hello all, In my SH3 I can see a number of android devices and an iphone which have a been assigned an IP by DHCP and have a lease time of approx 24 hours on my guest wfif segment.

I do not recognise these devices.

How can I tell if I am compromised?  Could these be phones that have just auto connected but not having the password still retain a DHCP lease?

I know whom I've given my guest wifi password out to and it would not be easy to figure out as well.

Thanks in advance and cheers.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unknown Wifi clients on my guest wifi?

No, any client connecting to a wireless network will have to sucessfully handshake with the router, which includes passing security challenges before it gets a DHCP lease.

You can get an idea of what devices they are by their MAC address, this site would help.

You could try changing the password on your guest network and see what happens.

An additional thought, do you see a SSID called myvirginmedia? If so it might be that you have VM wifi anywhere app active.

0 Kudos
FlashPan
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the mac site will check that out.

Nope am using a different SSID.

These phones are not in the Connected devices list (only seeing wired there).

Just changed my password and can still see the devices in dhcp?  Cannot do a reboot at the mo.  Wonder if these are old historical devices the hub has just not removed?

0 Kudos
FlashPan
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Scratch that, after another refresh on the page they have gone from the dhcp list.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hey FlashPan,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

This certainly is an interesting error, one of which I'm not sure about. Please keep an eye on this and let us know if any unknown devices return, we will then need to investigate this further.

Thanks again for letting us know.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos