Menu
AviateX14
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unannounced Engineers Replaced Part

Hi,

This happened some time ago, and it never struck me as strange until recently, my broadband connection had been performing perfectly fine for months, and then one day it started cutting in and out, about an hour later two Virgin engineers turned up completely unannounced and said that a "knock off Chinese part" used by Telewest was causing issues for everyone on our street and needed to be replaced, which they then did, it looked like a coax connector, the sort that'd join two cables together. They did it and then just disappeared, not a word about it.

Just wondering if anyone could shed any light on what it was, why it was so sudden, etc. It seemed quite unprofessional and honestly, given the current security craze, really quite disturbing.
0 Kudos
AviateX14
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unannounced Engineers Replaced Part

For clarity, the part was in the box on the inside of the house that the outdoor line comes into and the TV and broadband lines then both split out of.
0 Kudos
AviateX14
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Additionally, my broadband speed subsequently decreased, for quite some time, down to around 3Mb/s.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Looks like a fauly splitter that has malfunctioned injecting noise into the local circuit.

Posting some basic diagnostic info may shed some light if the fault has been fixed or not.

Navigate to the hub's GUI using http://192.168.100.1
Don't log in, click the Router Status button in the top right of the screen.
Copy \ Paste the Downstream, Upstream, and Network Logs.

Don't worry about the formatting.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi AviateX14, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see that we were unable to contact you before a visit to your premises.

griffin sounds like he is on the money with this one, we will always try to contact you before hand where we can as long as your contact details are up to date with us.  Apologies that we were unable to do so on this occasion. 

I have not been able to find a specific fault relating to this issue however if your property was the one radiating the noise then your connection would have been unaffected by the noise created. 

I hope this helps to explain things a little further. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos