Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9 (216 Views)

Unable to use Virgin Media WiFi app

Hi,

I've downloaded the Virgin Media WiFi app onto my iPhone but I'm unable to log in. I am a broadband customer. I have phoned VM and was told that the app is only for VM mobile customers.
However, on the app store, in it's description, it says:
'Virgin Media WiFi is a free app available to Virgin Media broadband and mobile customers.'

Any help would be appreciated. If VM are still waiting to roll it out to broadband customers then when is the likely date?

Up to speed
Message 2 of 9 (191 Views)

Re: Unable to use Virgin Media WiFi app

It's all gone very quiet on this.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 9 (169 Views)

Hi Sfsd334,

Thank you for coming in and posting your message about the WiFi app, welcome back.

I would like to mention that the app is for anyone with broadband and mobile, as the technology requires customers to enable bandwidth sharing from a separate part of the Hub itself, (not affecting your downstreams).

I would like to help and I'm sorry the app isn't behaving as it should. When you access the app, does an error appear or code while trying to open it. Also once logged in, does this show you any hotspots available?

Many thanks.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

Just joined
Message 4 of 9 (99 Views)

Hi Please note that i am facing same issue , last week I joined Virgin on this promise and I was assured I can connect with Virgin Wifi any where Unfortunate 

part it is not getting connected any where , Had visited to virgin media outlet also , Even they could not resolve  . I was told you can go to nearby Virgin wifi available and try , I was surprised how it possible , Instore virgin network is not available ? 

I tried to go to my friend house having Virgin media even there it was not connected.    Only message I get : you are not connected to WIFI - when I go for help it says There may be too many user .  We it is beyond my understanding .

Tuning in
Message 5 of 9 (67 Views)

This service is being advertised to customers here: 

http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/virginmediawifi/what-is-virgin-media-wifi.html

However, from reading the posts above and trawling through Virgin media's website as well as calling and going through the several option combinations, this service appears to have been advertised prematurely since it doesn't exist and the above link is just a 'show'

My wifi enabled tablet does not discover any Virgin related wifi hotspots that is open (i.e no password) even though Im at home and my VM broadband wifi is working perfectly. What is being discovered is BT-wifi-FON which is the same concept I believe and I am able to connect to that without issues

Can Virgin Media team please provide explanation otherwise this matter is likely to be heading towards Ofcom.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Message 6 of 9 (64 Views)

[ Edited ]

Virgin Media WiFi is available to customers using the iOS or Android app and does connect you to available Virgin Media WiFi hotspots.

You can see available hotspots within the app and currently for most people these will be existing Public WiFi locations, but with the additional benefit of connecting to a secure version of that WiFi hotspot (not via an Open SSID).

Virgin Media WiFi through the Hub 3.0s is being rolled out now, it isn't yet available everywhere. Where areas are enabled, the Hub 3.0s are added to the Virgin Media WiFi network, and a configured device using the app will then automatically connect to the extended network without further user intervention.

You can't complete connection to any Virgin Media Secure SSID without using the app to correctly configure your device. Virgin Media WiFi does not use Open SSIDs.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9 (55 Views)

[ Edited ]

Im afraid the service simply doesn't exist, explanation as follows:

From your second paragraph: I get a pop up error 'The internet connection appears to be offline' and is over layed on the map. This is when I launch the app which means its a 'catch 22' scenario. 

From your third paragraph: I have a hub 3.0 and I'm opted in and the Virgin Media WiFi profile is installed correctly.

Incidentally, when i connect to my configured SSID broadcasted by my VM router, the app doesn't show the above error on launch and shows other hotspots as well as the connection to this SSID.

So in summary, Ive checked all the boxes (and prior to my initial post), however, Virgin Media WiFi service does not exist.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 9 (50 Views)

[ Edited ]

As of this post the areas enabled are (from the FAQs):

So far we've added Hub 3.0s to the network in Basildon, Southend, Gillingham, Cambridge, the Cotswolds, Epping, Loughton, Glenrothes, South Herts and Watford, and West Sussex. Areas where Hubs are part of the network are indicated by pink circles on the map in the Virgin Media WiFi app.

If your local area hasn't yet had the Hub 3.0s enabled for Virgin Media WiFi, then you would have to visit a Public WiFi location on the map to use Virgin Media WiFi as you'll need to be in range of the SSID e.g. in a Cafe Nero or Pizza Express. I have Virgin Media WiFi configured on my phone and have successfully used the connection in places where these hotspots exist.

If you're not in range of one of these locations then disconnecting from any other working SSID will mean you're not in range of the Virgin Media WiFi network and you won't have an internet connection. This will be the case until your local area has the Hub 3.0s enabled and additional areas covered for Virgin Media WiFi.

Virgin Media WiFi is designed for use outside your home. In your home you use your own home broadband SSID. In fact the service is designed to ensure that your own home SSID is prioritised on your device. So even when the local Hub 3.0s are part of Virgin Media WiFi it should ensure you are connected to your home SSID whenever possible, as this is always the better connection.

And also to be clear (and this is also covered in the help content) that when Hub 3.0s are enabled, you see the general area where this is. You don't see individual Hub 3.0s for privacy and security reasons, and even when a Hub 3.0 is enabled and opted in, there is a limit to the number of concurrent Virgin Media WiFi devices that'll connect to it to ensure that both the home broadband connection and the Virgin Media WiFi service performance is protected.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9 (42 Views)

Thank you

It appears therefore then that the whole of Greater London isn't covered - which is where I am.

0 Kudos