Menu
riblessman
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Unable to connect to internet after Windows 10 update

Arrrggghhhh!!!

Had this problem for the last few days. Tried all the other fixes from Microsoft and on various forums. Finally got connected after using the Network Reset option. This appeared to work, but after about 5 minutes on the internet, it drops again. Have installed the latest 'fix' update from Microsoft.

I'm no expert - if I stay on the internet, it seems to work (hence how I can type this now) but if I go away from my PC, it stops working again. Am I mad?!

Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
mackerbootle
Tuning in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to connect to internet after Windows 10 update

Having exactly the same problem here. Seems to be about 20 mins for me. I have networked 3 computers - 2 Windows 10 and 1 is Windows 7. It is knocking all 3 computers offline but my local network stays connected. Already installed KB3206632 for Windows 10 updated on the 13th of December. Been on the phone 4 times today to them about it. They restarted the router but it just keeps on disconnecting every 20 minutes. They're sending me a new Hub out but I don't think it's that.

riblessman
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Finally appear to have resolved my issue - there was an updated driver available for my wi-fi card today and now everything seems OK (fingers crossed!).

0 Kudos
riblessman
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

SCRAP THAT! Has now gone off again!!! USELESS!! Not sure if this is a Windows problem or Virgin.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

can you connect to the internet with any other device? if you can it will be the PC.
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just to balance this thread, I've three Windows 10 laptops, all x64, one Pro and two Home.

All three are using wireless and all three are working as expected. They are also fully patched with MS updates.

0 Kudos
riblessman
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes, have various other devices connected. My PC does connect, but then drops out after a few minutes. The last session lasted a few minutes, earlier today it was 30 mins or so. I don't think it's the PC.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

if the other devices are OK then its the PC. If it was the Hub or connection then you'd lose the connection on all devices.

what make and model network card do you have?
0 Kudos
riblessman
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Intel dual band wireless AC3160. The card was replaced by John Lewis a few weeks ago although that was before I knew about the Windows problem.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

have you installed the latest drivers for the card.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26465/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windo...

also can you test with a wired connection to the computer to rule out the OS being at fault.
0 Kudos