Menu
sho41b
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Unable to connect to Whatsapp using Wifi

I have an issue with connecting WhatsApp using Wifi. WhatsApp clearly works on 4g with my iPhone 6 (ios device) and also works using 4g with some of my family members android devices. I have contacted virgin media to see if there is any faults with the network connection, however I have a full connection from virgin media and am able to access the internet with no problem, including android devices. I just cannot seem to connect to WhatsApp using Wifi, it works perfectly fine on 4g mobile data and. My family friends have a different network provider (plusset, sky) and have no problem connecting to WhatsApp using their wifi. I would be delighted if anyone knew about this issue?Thanks

Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to connect to Whatsapp using Wifi

Hi sho41b,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community, nice to have you on boardSmiley Happy

Strange that you're not able to access Whatsapp on your iPhone when using your Virgin connection, I'm not aware of any fault that might cause problems, do you get any error message or are any other apps affected that you've noticed?

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
drgtony
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Both myself and my wife seem to have the same problem. She has an iPhone 6s and I have an IPhone 6. Since about a week or so whatsapp doesn't work on virgin wifi. Works on 3G/ 4G, have tried re installing whatsapp, rebooting phone and router to no avail. We were both on IOS 2, the missus tried updating to the latest (9.3.1) - still not working.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi drgtony,

Strange, any error, in what way doesn't it work? I wonder if this is an iPhone 6 issue in some way, don't suppose you have access to another make of phone to test Whatsapp?

We've tested access on a couple phones here, though not iPhone 6 and had no issues.

Rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
drgtony
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Doesn't work as in cannot receive or send messages whilst on Wi Fi. Bizarrely cannot access the Whatsapp site on the web as well. Every other site is fine!!!
I've also discovered now that it doesn't work on any wi Fi connection. So not a virgin problem. But would really appreciate any help....
It's as if the phone is preventing access to the Whatsapp server...
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi drgtony,

Bit of strange one to be honest, if you've not tried it already I'd try uninstalling the App and reinstalling.

Hope this helps.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
MaryMills
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

After spending hours trying to solve this problem (Virgin even sent me a new router) I found that Virgin Media Web Safe was set to block Internet chat applications. I logged onto Web Safe and unblocked internet chat applications in Child Safe. Problem solved immediately. For information on logging in to Web Safe, see How to use Web Safe on the Virgin Media customer support website. With thanks to my internet guru for suggesting this solution.

RoisinGreen
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Iv had virgin in for now 4week very poor speed meant to have up to 100 and my our 2 samsung phones and samsung tablets arent even reaching 20 most times it 4-7 cant use whatsapp what so ever and youtube is buffering rang up so many times then engineer finially came out said there was nothing wrong and change the router..what is the point of paying for internet you can barely use
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Evening RoisinGreen,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read that you are having issues with your broadband connection.

I've managed to locate your account, the line and hub are showing as fine which is good.

Are you able to complete speed tests through a wired connection to see what speeds you achieve please?

Do you notice this issue at all times of the day or just at peak hours?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
JeffLucas
Just joined
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Mary,

You area a genius. I've been trying to solve this for ages and, whoopee, you did it.

Thanks Jeff

0 Kudos